Where should I locate the pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to decide whether to have a floor standing boiler v a wall mounted one (I am leaning towards the wall mounted for access and design reasons). With the floor standing the pump will be sited on the ground floor with the boiler as opposed to having it sited on the second floor and the boiler mounted on the wall on the ground floor. My question is, are there any advantages/disadvantages, effeciency-wise circulation etc., in where the pump is located or does it make no difference at all. The property is medium to large with a possibility of having a loft room in the future.

Sponsored Links
.........the second floor.........

The floor immediately above the ground floor is the first floor. Is this the floor you meant?

The whole layout - order of pipes - is very important. But the pump is just a part of that layout. Which floor the pump ends up on, or its distance form the boiler, is in principle unimportant.

Sponsored Links
sorry oilman, yes I did mean the floor above the ground, not second. It is a four bed house.

The installer will alter the layout of the pipework - for the better I hope although the present system with the floor mounted configuration is working OK. But even I can see that the current layout is not ideal. The hot water tank is not thermostat controlled and the boiler has four pipes coming out of it - two for the hot water cylinder and two for the heating. The boiler (and system) are quite old and venerable, at least 30 plus years I've been told - I've lived with it for a good fifteen years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back