Boiler status C even when no heating called for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideal ES38 Boiler

I have status C (no burner light) even when no central heating is called for. Pressure is ok at 1.1 bar. I’m 99% sure it would normally be status 0 when nothing is called for as per the manual (and my memory)

Another post here for a similar issue someone suggested maybe a valve problem but there was no further info as the thread went quiet.

Any idea what the issue is (assuming there is one?).

Edit - to be clear, the boiler appears to still produce hot water and heating... however the issue is just the C status permanently on as above when taps and radiator mode selected on the dial. If I select hot water (tap) only, then status 0 returns.

However permanently it sounds like water is running through the boiler in both cases. I’m sure it used to go quiet after 5 mins of no use.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To be clear the boiler seems to work fine for both heating and hot water! I should have said (editing original post).

To be clear ,your boiler shows C ,but is it firing up and heating radiators ,and your concern is that there is no demand for central heating at the time ?
Is that the issue ??

Sponsored Links
To be clear ,your boiler shows C ,but is it firing up and heating radiators ,and your concern is that there is no demand for central heating at the time ?
Is that the issue ??
Yes. That is accurate. The boiler is always status c (even with the central heating Honeywell panel all set to off) and can hear the gentle whirring on the boiler all the time.

It is as if the boiler thinks central heating is calling for water all the time.

I know it's a combi ,but do you have for instance zonal heating,thermostats for different floor levels ,underfloor heating .
Show us pics of programmer/ timer, thermostats

Reactions: CBW
It is a combi boiler with no hot water tank if that helps. Where would the valve be in this case?
How many room thermostats do you have? Motorised valves if you have them could be under the boiler in a cupboard, above the boiler either directly or in a cupboard so far up.

If only one thermostat, perhaps when it's gone to C on the boiler, investigate this, maybe safely disconnect the wires to ascertain if it stops.

Last edited:
I know it's a combi ,but do you have for instance zonal heating,thermostats for different floor levels ,underfloor heating .
Show us pics of programmer/ timer, thermostats
We have top floor heating with one control panel and bottom floor with a separate panel. Two of these. All normal rads which work fine. No underfloor heating.

Attachments

• IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    956 KB · Views: 35
How many room thermostats do you have? Motorised valves if you have them could be under the boiler in a cupboard, above the boiler either directly or in a cupboard so far up.

If only one thermostat, perhaps when it's gone to C on the boiler, investigate this, maybe safely disconnect the wires to ascertain if it stops.
Two themostats (see pic above). This pic is under the boiler. It definitely looks like boiler thinks heating is called for when it isn’t as everything otherwise works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_5359.jpeg
    IMG_5359.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Somewhere on your systems pipework there will be motorised valves. Look like a small box on the pipe ,with electric cable coming from them. One of them is likely faulty.
Which radiators come on when you don't want them on ,upstairs or downstairs ?

I confirm radiators on both floors come on successfully when turned on through the thermostat.

Makes sense it is maybe broken capable as everything works ok otherwise.

I can’t see any valves at all around the boiler. Top and bottom of boiler there’s nothing. Nothing that looks like a motorised valve. Anywhere else it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5361.jpeg
    IMG_5361.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 21

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back