Boiler switches on and off every 30 seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ideal Elan2 boiler in a conventional system, that seems to function correctly for the first 30 minutes when the heating is switched on. Then it seems to go through a routine of switching on and off every 30 seconds, when in this routine and the boiler is on it is very noisy and there can be a whistling noise. This switching on and off can last for 30 minutes until the house has reached the temperature set on the thermostat (20 degrees).

any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Reading other posts in this forum it would appear that the normal behaviour of a boiler is to switch on and off every 30 or so seconds. But my main concern is the noise it makes when on during this cycling time it's a good alarm clock in the morning!

I'm wondering as I have received no reply whether I have left out any vital information. If so can you let me know what other info is required to fix this the problem.
Many thanks

Paul

Hi , I'm no plumber , but have been in and out of my central heating system all week !! I had a noisy boiler and very frequent on/off. a mate told me to locate the motorised valve , and switch it from auto to manual several times , thereby releasing any dirt that may have lodged in it . when you've done this , (I did it about 10 times) leave it on 'manual' and check that it resets itself to Auto. ... It worked for me !! .. Best of luck.

As AnneC says, you need to do something, it certainly is not "normal" for boilers to cycle on and off every 30 seconds. Either there is no room thermostat to control the boiler, or water is not taking theheat away from the boiler or possibly both."

Sponsored Links
Have you had it serviced? Or is it new

The boiler is shunting, which means the gas valve is not regulating down to lower pressures. When set up correctly the flame comes on high and then should modulate down to lower pressures as the system water temp increases so as not to fry your heat exchanger!!

Your boiler is coming on with a high flame then going off. The water is not really at system temp but the flame is begining to roast the heat exchanger. So it tells the gas valve no gas please and the whole process begins again in seconds, when the temp drops inside the Boiler.

This may require setting up on the PCB/Mainboard, but I'm not familiar with your boiler.

If I'm wrong; forgive me................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back