Boiler / Tank Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Day,

I am wondering if you could point me in the right direction of my potential issue.
Complete newbie to this and to the forum so thanks in advance for any help / guidance.

Setup:
1/I have a boiler, along with timer dial in the kitchen.
2/Cylinder / Tank in hallway under stairs.
3/Theromostat for CH - On side of stairs.

Equipment'
Boiler : Ideal iCOS HE12
Cylinder / Tank - Range Tribune He

Issue :
Over the last 24hours my system now seems to be constantly 'on' even though I have not set it on via timer.
The issue remains even when I switch the timer off.

By constantly 'on' I can here my tank constantly making a lot of noise as if I have placed hot water or CH on.
I can 100% confirm this happens even when switched off.
Central heating is not on although their is noise so I assume it is the water element which remains firing in the cylinder / tank setup?
I am a complete novice to this but I can notice pipes remain hot and the pump attached next to cylinder / tank looks to be vibrating.

When looking at the boiler in kitchen, it seems to be set to C and boiler ignition switches between flashing and static light / on.

If I switch off the boiler in the kitchen at the wall all turns off successfully but this has been the only fix.

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I should provide more information, if needed please advise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Quite likely that a motorised valve has either stuck in the open position of the microswitch within it has malfunctioned in the "on" position. However, setting the programmer to hot water off should stop this, as should the cylinder reaching temperature. If that's not happening, and it is the valve which is at fault, I would suspect a wiring issue.

Given that you have an unvented hot water cylinder, I'd advise you to get in an engineer with both gas (Gas Safe) and unvented (G3) qualifications.

Thanks. Turning water to off does not fix the issue unfortunately. Tried this already.

The cylinder is constantly on for 24hrs unfortunately :(

Sponsored Links
Does sound like you need an engineer. But do check no one has turned an immersion heater on by mistake before you do.

The mains switch in the cupboard is switched off which looks attached to the immersion. Is there another part?

Cylinder / Tank also still firing when I switch just the boiler off (not from the mains)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back