Boiler temperature control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a simple question but I am ignorant about these matters. I have a Ferroli condensing boiler about 5/6 yrs old. On the control panel on the boiler the heating temperature is set at about 78 degrees at present. However I have noticed that when the house/room thermostat calls for heat and the boiler starts, the flow heating temperature display figure often goes much higher and sometimes up to 90 degrees or above as it heats up the system. Is this normal or should I be worried that there is a fault somewhere ?
With thanks

Sponsored Links
you may find that the temp climbs over 75 quicker an dhigher when heating hot water than when heating the rads, also if you have TRV's as they close and heating comes up to temperature the boiler temp will climb quickly and higher, that is acceptable BUT if it goes up to 90 when rads have just started heating, then that is wrong, also 95 is getting very lose to boiling so try turning thermostat knob down to 70 deg C

Peter, many thanks for the quick and helpful reply. It puts my mind at rest a little. I will turn the temp down to about 70 as you suggest and keep a close eye on it.

This may be a simple question but I am ignorant about these matters. I have a Ferroli condensing boiler about 5/6 yrs old. On the control panel on the boiler the heating temperature is set at about 78 degrees at present. However I have noticed that when the house/room thermostat calls for heat and the boiler starts, the flow heating temperature display figure often goes much higher and sometimes up to 90 degrees or above as it heats up the system. Is this normal or should I be worried that there is a fault somewhere ?
With thanks

No need to worry, the boiler will shut down with a high temp alarm if it is exceeded, but if you have not added inhibitor to the system in the last 5 years, would recommend flushing the system clean and adding some.
Also you should try operating you boiler at the lowest temperature possible that still achieves a comfortable room temperature, it is a condensing boiler and will not condense with return temperatures above 55 degrees C, the lower you can operate the boiler the more it will condense, hence more efficiency = less gas used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to Kayedee for the additional comments. I will look at the suggestion of flushing the system etc
Also, as to Dan-Robinson's comment, from looking at some other postings I think that I have so far been quite lucky that the Ferroli I have has been reasonably reliable and efficient. I did however have one occasion a couple of years ago when the boiler stopped working completely. An engineer spent hours failing to solve it until a call to the Ferroli engineers came up with an answer in seconds that it had "switched to summer time" and one press of an unnamed hidden button started it up. Why on earth do they not have all buttons labelled and/or mentioned in the instruction manuals !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back