Boiler thermostat upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all good people
I have bought a wireless room thermostat, ESI model ESRT4RF to upgrade my old DRAYTON RST1. From my ICOS, ancient boiler, I have four wires, one live wire, one netral, one 'earth' and another wire that connects on the '3' terminal of the DRAYTON thermostat, first picture. Upon testing with my multimeter the '3' wire acts like a neutral.
I fitted the new one in and the boiler don't turn on for heating but when I plugged the old one in it is working. Any help please ?

Attachments

• 20200926_183054.jpg
    20200926_183054.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 20200927_121148.jpg
    20200927_121148.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 20200927_121116.jpg
    20200927_121116.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 243
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. After a few tries I managed to get it to work. I made a link between live and com and connected the black wire to the '2' terminal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. After a few tries I managed to get it to work. I made a link between live and com and connected the black wire to the '2' terminal.
The diagram on the RTS1 shows (red) that L is internally already linked to COM. It doesnt support volt-free, whereas the ESI does, so COM isnt connected to L internally. I guess that other models of the Drayton do have volt-free contacts, and 1 would be COM, not connected to L internally.

And it shows (yellow) that 3 is the normally open contact. I guess 2 would be the normally closed one in versions of that thermostat which can also be used for cooling, but the RTS1 only does heating, so only has a NO terminal.

upload_2020-9-29_13-8-28.png

You have to wonder from a manufacturing POV if its worth having different versions and whether if they didnt the savings in processes and inventory and all the admin for selling and accounting for different versions might outweigh the costs of a few more internal wires. No reason why they cant all offer volt-free, NC as well as NO...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back