Boiler tripping 3amp fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

have Worcester boiler 4 years old that trips the 3amp fuse but only when a working room temp sender box is fitted. Story is we had boiler issues with condensate pipe which has all been repaired but meant that the 3amp spur and the sender (Honeywell bdr91) got wet. Boiler put backinto full working order, will stay on for hot water and can push the heating boost button (man with ladder) that runs for 15 mins all without any problem as long as broken sender unit is installed (so obviously no heating as no call signal)

replaced the front of the sender unit with exactly the same type and everything worked for about 30mins then bang. Reinstalled broken sender unit and New fuse fitted this morning and boiler back on with no issue with hot water and boost function running Heating (15 min cycle).

So my question is what reading should I get from the sender unit wiring any ideas what to do so I don’t blow another 70 quid unit. Is it likely something shorting to earth and if so why take half an hour to blow? It looks like it’s probably blown the board in the sender again as there is a black mark on the 240v side of the sender unit.

Hopefully this is something simple I can sort so any help appreciated otherwise will get them to send a leccy to sort next week. Obviously I know I cannot open boiler so it’s what I can check at switch, thanks

Sponsored Links
can push the heating boost button (man with ladder) that runs for 15 mins all
That is not a boost button , it is called chimney sweep mode, it runs the boiler flat out for 15 mins and ignores all controls to allow an engineer working on the boiler to run tests , stop pressing it, forget it is there, it is not a user control

Sponsored Links
That is not a boost button , it is called chimney sweep mode, it runs the boiler flat out for 15 mins and ignores all controls to allow an engineer working on the boiler to run tests , stop pressing it, forget it is there, it is not a user control
Thanks, only pressed once to check it it tripped the fuse or not. Boiler is only on currently for hot water

If the boiler ran OK with that presssed the problem is not with the boiler, did you read my post about sender and receiver

If the boiler ran OK with that presssed the problem is not with the boiler, did you read my post about sender and receiver
Yes answered above, yes sorry the receiver wired to boiler, thanks

Yes answered above, yes sorry the receiver wired to boiler, thanks
try removing the cover and blowing through the L&N terminals with a hairdryer, the A&B wouldnt blow a fuse, no harm in using the hair dryer on the rear of the fused spur too, sounds like you still have some moisture in somewhere

try removing the cover and blowing through the L&N terminals with a hairdryer, the A&B wouldnt blow a fuse, no harm in using the hair dryer on the rear of the fused spur too, sounds like you still have some moisture in somewhere

thanks Ianmcd I changes the receiver and trimmed and cleaned the wire. It had definitely arced between live and neutral. Also cleaned out and hairdryered the 3amp spur. Heating has now been back on since yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back