Boiler Tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old Potterton Boiler with a Nest Gen2 that have been working flawlessly for years, however suddenly im faced with the boiler tripping the RCD when its in the igniting phase. 19 out of 20 times it will trip before it ignites, and on the odd occasion it will ignite and heat for a brief period before tripping.

Any idea's on cause and what to check for?

Sponsored Links
Which potterton? They made more than 1. Is it the rcd or mcb? Could be the pump, but need more info first.

Which potterton? They made more than 1. Is it the rcd or mcb? Could be the pump, but need more info first.
Hi, its either a Potterton Suprima 60 or 80.

On the main board i have multiple breakers, one for each "ring".. i call them RCD's, they could very well be MCB's.

RCD faults are often a problem to find, I will normally use an insulation tester on the 250 volt range, I would not use on 500 volt as it could damage things in the boiler, I use one of these 1663878907252.pngand one of these 1663879017972.png to test to find the fault. In the CU you have these PartID_CU.jpg the RCBO and RCD have a test button, the other two don't.

Often the RCD trips due to neutral to earth faults which can be made worse as the load increases, but the amount one can test without some test equipment is limited, and as an electrician I would always use the test gear, although unplugging things can help I want to know why so it will not happen again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back