Boiler tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Apologies I am new to this site but just wondered if anybody had any suggestions as to a problem I have with my boiler.
Whenever I switch on the Hot water it causes my RCD to trip out. I have tried a few things but it doesn't seem to resolve the problem. I initially has a look at the boiler and water pump and could not find fault although each time I tried to switch it on the RCD tripped. I then removed the control switch but as there didn't seem to be anything wrong replaced it. On this occasion the boiler started up without tripping. However it ran for about 20 seconds before it cut out rather than the RCD. I could not get it to come back on until it seemed to have cooled down but then it did the same thing ie ran for 20 seconds then cut out. I now cannot get it running again as the RCD trips out straight away. I have tested the water pump independantly and this works fine. I have also short circuited the control panel and this still causes the RCD to trip so the control panel would appear to be fine.
The boiler is a Gloworm Fuelsaver F.
I have an engineer coming monday but he didn't sound too sure on the phone. Any ideas?????

Sponsored Links
HI

common cause for this

1.p.c.b faulty/short circuited
2.live wire touching metal part of the boiler
3.live wire touching any other wires
4.plus more

1) Does it only do it on HW or CH as well?
2) What motorised valves do you have, mid postion or zone valves?

Check around the valves for water ingress between the motorhead and valve body.

It does it for both CH and HW, I'm sorry but my knowledge of these things is limited, I have no idea what valves there are.

Sponsored Links
I dont think that with your lack of knowledge you are going to find the fault unless there is anything obviously wet.

Does the engineer on Monday have an earth leakage clamp meter?

Tony

Tony,
I've not used him before so I'm not sure what he's got.
Your quite right that I'm not going to find the fault. Having looked at previous message boards on this site, there is obviously a wealth of knowledge available. All I wanted was some suggestions that I could pass on to the engineer when he comes. I didn't know if the symptoms I described were common problem that has been encountered before. I should have highlighted my lack of knowledge from the start.

Thank you to all that have posted replies so far. Your help is very much appreciated.

Chris.

All I wanted was some suggestions that I could pass on to the engineer when he comes.
Chris.

I dont think its a good idea to be telling him how to do his job!

Much better to check before he comes that he is a no-fix no-fee operator.

I would say that anyone investigating that kind of fault should have an earth leakage clamp meter but I have to say that very few people fixing boilers have them or would even know what to do with them. To me they are an essential part of the kit for RCD tripping investigation.

I once went to one where the manufacturer's service agent had sent three people on four visits and could not find the problem. The owner was obviously rather up tight and I purposely took my time chatting and drinking coffee before looking at the boiler. I had taken the case off and casually looked inside for a second or two. When I finished the coffee I disconnected something and the boiler worked without tripping the RCD.

Tony

No thats fine. Believe me I know what it's like being told your job by somebody with no idea. Thats what I would be doing if I offered any advice, however there are people on here that have vast experiance like yourself that surely can only help. The engineer that is coming has been highly recommended by people who have used him before, but he is an independant who may not have come across this type of problem before so hopefully the suggestions that you and the others have made may come in useful if there is a scratching the head moment.
Cheers
Chris.

However much experience anyone has, the only way to find the fault is by using the correct diagnostic techniques and finding it on site.

Namsag ( on this forum ) does not think that I have much experience on boilers but when I was a student I could earn a bus driver's weekly wage in 2-4 hours on a Saturday afternoon fixing TVs for a local shop. I used to aim to complete a TV repair within 20 minutes! All fault finding uses the same basic diagnostic skills comparing actual operation with the expected!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back