Boiler ignition keeps tripping circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glowworm Energysaver 60e boiler which is about 8 years old. Every time the boiler "ignites" (not sure if this is the right terminology) it causes the RCD circuit breaker to trip.

If I reset the RCD, I can hear the boiler switching on. About 5 seconds later it goes to ignite and then the RCD trips immediately.

If anyone could provide some suggestions as to what may be causing this to happen and if it's possible to fix it myself I'd be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
You have to isolate things like the pump and other probably electricals. Need a fair understanding of what's connected and the sequence of operation, and ideally a sensitive AC clamp meter. It could be the earthing & connections around the ignition.

Thanks for your prompt reply Chris, I'll start isolating things as you suggest.

I had a very similar problem 3 months ago and it was the pump. I disconnected the wiring to the pump from the connector feed from central heating and wired in a seperate feed. This to took out the circuit breaker. The pump had failed.

Sponsored Links
The actual ignition spark causes a small current through the earth.

If there are other leaking appliances or wiring in the property then the combined current will often exceed the 30 mA trip current.

The boiler is then blamed when in reality its something else.

I went to one where it was the kettle but it only tripped when the boiler fired up.

The cure was to fit the boiler to a non RCD circuit! Thats always better practice anyway.

Tony

After isolating things and testing everything it is definitely the boiler.

I removed the outer cover to find quite a lot of water sitting in the bottom of the casing, and moisture on the electrics. It looks like the condenser is leaking, so I'm going to get a professional in to look at it.

Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back