Central heating system tripping circuit breaker (ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system which includes the Potterton Suprima is tripping the circuit breaker.
If I switch off the isolation switch ((boiler and control panel), reset the circuit breaker, then switch on the isolation switch again it trips the circuit breaker immediately.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• actuator.JPG
    actuator.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 59
  • boiler.JPG
    boiler.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 47
  • control panel.JPG
    control panel.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
  • inside panel.JPG
    inside panel.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Just touched the bottom of the mid protection actuator and there was a drop of water there. I'm wondering if this is the location of the earth leak.

Water leaks onto electrical parts are a common cause.

MCB or RCD or RCBO- which is tripping? Pic is probably easiest...
plus what else is on that circuit?

Sponsored Links
This is the leak on the mid way valve

Attachments

• mid way valve water leak.JPG
    mid way valve water leak.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 67
This RCD is tripping, currently in the good position.
This morning Ive switched it on and it hasnt tripped.
Also has the water pump in the circuit.

Attachments

• RCD tripped.JPG
    RCD tripped.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 48
Also just spotted that the spring attachment is broken off, what does that spring do?

Attachments

• spring attachment broken.JPG
    spring attachment broken.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 65
  • good one from youtube.JPG
    good one from youtube.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 67
Ok. First thing- where's the water coming from?
Second, the spring is usually quite important, fixable with an M3 or so nut and bolt.

I unclipped the mid way valve and you can see the water leak. All pics are posted the right way up so far.

Attachments

• water leak 3 way valve.JPG
    water leak 3 way valve.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 54
Mmm that does look a bit crusty. And probably not repairable without removal (possibly not repairable full stop). Time to source a replacement.

Reactions: CBW
I unclipped the mid way valve and you can see the water leak. All pics are posted the right way up so far.
Could it be dripping onto some other electrical part, such as the pump or thermostat? Or a wiring connection?

Also just spotted that the spring attachment is broken off, what does that spring do?

The motor drives the valve to the intended position, and holds it there. Default position is water heating, powered can be either HW + CH, or CH only. The motor can only drive in one direction. The spring returns it back to the default position of water heating.

I would obtain a new 3 port valve altogether, I’ve had a valve leaking once on a 3 port valve, which was tripping electrics too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back