Boiler type help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but i have only just recently brought my own house, and know nothing about boilers or CH! Can any one tell me what type of boiler i have as i am unsure weather it is a gravity fed system or a combi boiler!!
All i can say is that the boiler is in the kitchen, then in the lounge a thermostat on the wall for the room temperature and then upstairs in the bedroom is a control box where you switch the heating on. I have opened the attic door and there are pipes going from the bedroom to the loft. Would they be going to a tank? Is this where the hot water is stored?

Sorry to sound really dumb but could do with some help!!

Thanks jo!

Sponsored Links
do you have to wait for hot water or is it instant when ever you turn your tap on?

if you have to put hot water on for a while and have a cylinder, big tank full of water then you have a system boiler.

if its instant you have a combination boiler

if its a new house, 2/3 bedroom. its most probably a combination boiler

i think it must be a system boiler because if the boiler hasnt been on then the hot water is cold. No the house was built in 1930!! So it is not new! Its a 2 bedroom terraced! Yes there must be a tank upstairs because thats where all the pipes are going. So im going to guess its a system boiler!! Thanks for getting back in touch you are really helpful!!

Thanks jo

i had it in my head that it was a new build lol, yes then it does sound like a system boiler. :) hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Not a system boiler, unless it includes a pump, expansion vessel, PRV etc. More likely to be a conventional boiler, but it might help if you read the name and model off the front of it! Also what options does the programmer have - just CH, or CH and/or HW? And is there a big HW cylinder in a cupboard somewhere?

maka2k2 the fact that you are trying to help is great but as you are, by your own admision, unqualified and inexperienced it might not be a bad idea if you slowed down and thought sometimes before you post.

Please dont take this the wrong way but you have given a few really poor tips and you could land some poor old bugger in trouble.

Hi all well on the control panel upstairs you can select weather to have HW or CH&HW and there is a tank upstairs, if i have the heating on for say a day and then switch it off the hot water lasts for a quite a few days! :D Hope this helps you to try and tell me what type it is!! :)

Thanks jo

Why don't you tell us the make and model number of the boiler :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back