Boiler Upgrade Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a rather old floor standing Gloworm Hideaway (60,000Btu/18Kw) output boiler. Its fitted in a utility room, under a 600mm kitchen unit. I suspect its somewhere in the region of at least 17 years old !

Although it runs perfectly, this winter 2 rooms were never quite warm enough, and after checking the calculations for the room size I changed the 2 radiators to double radiators. Both rooms are much warmer now.
Downside is, I think the boiler is now struggling with the extra, and to be honest, being quite a large 4 bedroom detached house, I think the boiler's always been on the light side.

Anyway, this summer I'd like to change upgrade the boiler. Here's the rough spec:

4 bedroom house with hot water storage tank etc.
12 various sized radiators.
Circuit is pretty standard with 2 way programmer, (heating & DHW)
Existing flue is a standard square balanced flue, that will need to be changed

I'd like to upgrade to a high efficiency condensing boiler that will fit into the same space with minimum of hassle. I don't want to convert to a combi boiler. Basically I only want to change the boiler & flue.

So question is, could anyone suggest a reasonable quality free standing boiler, that will fit under a standard kitchen unit?
Intuitively, and without doing the calcs, I'd have thought a 25-30Kw high efficiency condensing boiler would be about right?

Advice on boiler anyone?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Potterton fsb (floor standing boiler) fits into a 600mm under counter space

Can't comment on kw's required too many unknowns. I suggest you use the sedbuk calculator

Thanks - 26.5 Kw from the SEDBUK calculator.

These are my choices so far:

Worcester Greenstar FS 30CDi Regular (30Kw) £1200

Potterton Promax FSB 30 HE (30Kw) £760

Ideal Mexico HE 24 (30Kw) £1200

The Potterton seems a good bet?

Sponsored Links
I would keep the boiler you have it will probably out live a new he boiler maybee you could zone the house & fit a higher output circulator also look to up grade system pipework & rads to convectors if they are not already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back