Boiler upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant Ecotech Turbo boiler that is a few years old now and goes wrong every year.
The other issue is that its too under powered for my house that has 13 rads and 3 showers.

I am thinking that a Worcester Greenstar 8000 Style 40kW Combi White Ng 7738100797 and a
Heatrae Sadia Megaflo Eco 95050475 300i Indirect Unvented Hot Water Cylinder would be a better option.

Would this combination work and what would be a guide fitting cost including a flush/magnaflow/chemicals/commisioning.

im in Northamptonshire

Sponsored Links
I have a three story house with an 18 kW oil boiler, 14 radiators, and it only runs at max 50% even on coldest days, so it would seem not simply boiler size, there is some other fault.

Problem with a gas boiler is they modulate if the return water gets too warm, so set up is critical. At least with my oil boiler I can hear it start and stop so I know if boiler can't cope.

You don't need a combi and a Megaflo. A combi boiler produces hot water on demand, a Megaflo stores hot water for use as required. You can't link the two - you need a system boiler. First thing to do is to get your incoming mains flow rate and pressure tested to see whether it can actually keep up with running an unvented cylinder (be it a Megaflo or another brand). This can be checked as part of a survey visit.

As a very rough rule of thumb you need 1kW per radiator for most houses. Again though, a good installer will carry out a heat loss calculation to determine the correct boiler size for your house.

I'm also in Northamptonshire. Happy to come and survey / give you an estimate if you'd like. I'm a Heat Geek Certified installer with over 100 5-star reviews... www.muglestons.co.uk

I have a Vaillant Ecotech Turbo boiler that is a few years old now and goes wrong every year.
The other issue is that its too under powered for my house that has 13 rads and 3 showers.

I am thinking that a Worcester Greenstar 8000 Style 40kW Combi White Ng 7738100797 and a
Heatrae Sadia Megaflo Eco 95050475 300i Indirect Unvented Hot Water Cylinder would be a better option.

Would this combination work and what would be a guide fitting cost including a flush/magnaflow/chemicals/commisioning.

im in Northamptonshire

Boiler is not underpowered; it cannot supply all those showers. A combi is good if you are only running one hot draw off at any moment in time. For heating radiators there is adequate power.

UV cylinder is the way to go. Another option is. 24kw combi hooked up to a UV cylinder and combi side delivering hot water to kitchen/ utility room only

What seems to be the malfunction every year. If same thing then wonder if the repair carried out is lacking in quality.

Sponsored Links
You don't need a combi and a Megaflo. A combi boiler produces hot water on demand, a Megaflo stores hot water for use as required. You can't link the two - you need a system boiler. First thing to do is to get your incoming mains flow rate and pressure tested to see whether it can actually keep up with running an unvented cylinder (be it a Megaflo or another brand). This can be checked as part of a survey visit.

As a very rough rule of thumb you need 1kW per radiator for most houses. Again though, a good installer will carry out a heat loss calculation to determine the correct boiler size for your house.

I'm also in Northamptonshire. Happy to come and survey / give you an estimate if you'd like. I'm a Heat Geek Certified installer with over 100 5-star reviews... www.muglestons.co.uk

muggles top 100 then :cool::cool:

What seems to be the malfunction every year. If it's same thing then wonder if the repair carried out is lacking in quality

+1 .... I'd certainly be looking at that .... Vaillant are usually pretty reliable boilers if they are looked after properly. If they aren't then they can become a bit of a mare and expensive to maintain.

Personally I don't rate WB any more but that's a whole different and usually contentious discussion which IMO has been done to death

Boiler is not underpowered; it cannot supply all those showers. A combi is good if you are only running one hot draw off at any moment in time. For heating radiators there is adequate power.

UV cylinder is the way to go. Another option is. 24kw combi hooked up to a UV cylinder and combi side delivering hot water to kitchen/ utility room only

What seems to be the malfunction every year. If same thing then wonder if the repair carried out is lacking in quality.

It has an annual service as I have a service contract on it and call out if it goes wrong.

Since we have had it the parts have been

Fan assembley
Circuit board
Electrode
PRV

as well as some random parts

It seams every winter the boiler goes through a faze of losing presure and we have to top it up and there are no leaks
expansion tank has been topped up a couple of years.

I live in a converted bungalow with no loft as upstairs has been converted.
When the boiler works it heats the house ok

Which UV system would you recommend?

Joule Cyclone are very good unvented cylinders at a far more reasonable price than Megaflo

Depends on budget I guess. I find the Gledhill ES is a great budget SS cylinder that currently has a 25Year warranty with it and they have great support. Their Platinum range is also very good. Cant argue with Joule either and Ultrasteel make a good unit too.

A lot of the UV cylinders that are on the market now are very similar, as the manufacturing quality has increased with demand. It's more a tailor to your requirements that would more drive the choice

Had a look and im out of your area im NN10 Rushden North beds end

It has an annual service as I have a service contract on it and call out if it goes wrong.

Since we have had it the parts have been

Fan assembley
Circuit board
Electrode
PRV

as well as some random parts

It seams every winter the boiler goes through a faze of losing presure and we have to top it up and there are no leaks
expansion tank has been topped up a couple of years.

I live in a converted bungalow with no loft as upstairs has been converted.
When the boiler works it heats the house ok

Would be more productive to get the boiler serviced as indicated in the manual

What you now have is a breakdown contract. Boiler is most likely not getting serviced

Would be more productive to get the boiler serviced as indicated in the manual

What you now have is a breakdown contract. Boiler is most likely not getting serviced

Sorry for the confusion it does also have a yearly service and I have a gas safety check as well.
Im a landlord so I get all the properties done as well as my own by 24/7 who sent Valliant engineer last yeat as I wasn't happy with their engineer.

Depends on budget I guess. I find the Gledhill ES is a great budget SS cylinder that currently has a 25Year warranty with it and they have great support. Their Platinum range is also very good. Cant argue with Joule either and Ultrasteel make a good unit too.

A lot of the UV cylinders that are on the market now are very similar, as the manufacturing quality has increased with demand. It's more a tailor to your requirements that would more drive the choice

Budget is around the £2500 for the parts and then labour but it depends on the labour costs.

Any idea on rough costs to fit swapping from a combi in the same area in the garage?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back