Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to the forum, I have a query about the megaflo eco plus unvented indirect cylinder, if anyone could advise me.

My mains is 32mm and I think I have a flow rate of around 30l/min (whilst my mains are 32mm, all my house pipes are 15mm which will be replaced when the system is installed which might increase the flow rate), whilst I believe this should normally be enough for the megaflo eco cylinder, the eco plus specs state a minimum of 50l/min otherwise it will have reduced performance.

D7gRY8p.png

I was wondering if anyone with experience, would know if the reduced performance will simply be a case of waiting longer for the cylinder to replenish its hot water, if there will be any other significant effects, i.e if I have a lower flow rate, will the cylinder work as good as a normal eco atleast (I would rather future proof now and have my mains upgraded at a later point)?

I'm basically looking around different systems before hiring someone to install everything and unfortunately, Heatrae Sadia are closed on the weekend, so was hoping to get some answers before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ah I see, I have been looking around and the eco plus flow rate of upto 176l/min was pretty impressive, and I was looking at the 570l cylinder, would you recommend going for a different brand? I do know that the megaflo system can be overpriced in comparison to the others but I don't mind paying a premium if the quality is there.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I will give them a look, oh, I think my pressure should be good, but I will buy a pressure gauge later today to make sure it's all good.

My mains is 32mm and I think I have a flow rate of around 30l/min (whilst my mains are 32mm, all my house pipes are 15mm which will be replaced when the system is installed which might increase the flow rate),

You need to measure it. Ideally directly from the 32mm main, or from an outlet as close to the mains as possible (if it's 15mm pipework from the kitchen tap 10m away, you'll get significantly less flow).

Seems pointless paying a premium for a cylinder capable of such high flow rates if your mains cannot deliver it. You are already on a 32mm mains, which is very good for a domestic property, and capable of far higher than 30 l/min, so upgrading won't help. An accumulator could be used to boost your mains flow rate.

Have a quick search of the forums on what other readings you should be taking before deciding on an unvented setup (eg. dynamic flow rate).

Yes, apologies. Should have read dynamic pressure at varying flow rates.

Thanks for the advice, I am getting around 3.6 bar static, and when I open the tap it drops to around 2.1, but as I probably want to get a water softener too, I might go down the accumulator route if necessary. I also found out the eco plus delivers better flow rate if you have lower pressure when compared to the normal megaflo eco (minimum 1) and performs better at higher pressure.

Last edited:
Ah I see, I have been looking around and the eco plus flow rate of upto 176l/min was pretty impressive, and I was looking at the 570l cylinder, would you recommend going for a different brand? I do know that the megaflo system can be overpriced in comparison to the others but I don't mind paying a premium if the quality is there.

176l/min???
570ltr cylinder? Do you live in a hotel?

We don't really need a flow rate that high, it is more that its a large family, and we all need to get up early and shower etc, and we will probably have a large extension done in a year or two, so we will have 2 bathrooms and a shower, so I would rather spend extra now and future proof the installation, then have to hire someone again later to upgrade.

Also the heat loss between the 300L and 500/570L is minimal so I thought why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back