Replacing mega flo with combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 2 year old potterton suprima 50L and Heatrae-sadia mega flo. I've previously had (non-potterton) combi boilers and frankly am unimpressed with the potterton/mega-flo combination in comparison both for reliability and performance - (the potterton is currently on the fritz awaiting attention from an engineer.)

If I were to replace the above with a combi boiler, how do I decide what capacity/power output to choose? I have very little idea on what units of measurement are used to benchmark boilers (BTUs?) so would appreciate any guidance that is available.

Sponsored Links
Even a small (24 kw) combi is big enough to heat most average houses, but when it comes to hot water you need a big one to give a decent supply. It sounds like you have a fair demand for hot water (seeing as you already have a megaflow), depending on what you have got even a large combi may not meet your needs.

Do not lose the mega flo usually people who get one never go back.
A combi will never compete with it for hot water supply.
P

Sponsored Links
If the Megaflow is correctly installed and the incoming water supply has adequate flow its difficult to immagine how you cannot be happy with its performance.

If the limitation is mains water flow then that will have the same effect on a combi.

The Suprima has not been one of the most reliable boilers but that should be past history with the redesigned PCBs although they also fail but not as often as the original type.

Your system should be as good as one can get if its properly installed on a goon water supply.

Tony

Thanks for all the responses - seems like the weight of opinion is to keep the mega-flo, although I'm still tempted to investigate changing the boiler - am very unimpressed that despite having been serviced in each of its 2 years of life, its still broken down on me. This was the first new build property I've bought having previously bought old properties with old boilers which never gave me any trouble.

kudjusi said:
This was the first new build property I've bought ...........

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Generally jerry built, even expensive houses. Everything done on the cheap. The older houses had someone else sorting the problems.

However, with a cylinder you have backup if the boiler breaks down, as you can use the immersion heater. With a combi you get nothing. So make sure you have a couple of oil filled rads for the heating, and you will survive.

Keep the megaflo, ditch the boiler new build just fit the cheapeat deal (not necessarily the boiler) they can get on boilers for the entire site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back