Boiler ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small Potterton Supprima boiler in my kitchen.

I've just had my kitchen refitted, and a cupboard has been built to hide the boiler away. There are currently no holes or gaps in the cupboard.

Somebody has told me the cupboard should have some grills cut out of it, to allow for air circulation, ventilation, etc.

How how many grills should there be, and how big do they need to be, does anyone know?

Sammy

Sponsored Links
It will be in the manufacturers instructions for your boiler the size and vent requirements for cooling air!
If not look it up on potterton baxi site. As you havent gave the boiler size so cant do calculation for free air reqd. Once you have the high and low free air requirement you then buy the vents with this amount of air on the lable!

It requires no air for combustion but may need air for passive boiler cooling. The manual will let you know.....that said have you allowed enough space so the cover can be removed in future for servicing and repair

Wow thanks for the speedy responses.

There's definitely enough room for access for service / repair.

Unfortunately I dont have the manual as the boiler was there when I moved in about 8 years ago - have boiler but no manual.

So i've looked at the Potterton website and have seen some numbers I don't quite understand in the 'ventilated cupboard' section of the guide to the Suprima. For example, a Potterton model 30HE (I'll have to check which model mine is when I'm back home) needs 92cm2 of 'free area'...

Does this mean each vent (one at the top of the cupboard and one at the bottom?) needs to be at least 92cm square, basically?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
NO
It means that both vents need to pass this much free air(the slots in the vents)
The packet the vents come in tell you the free air passed through.
Just get yer make and model and look it up then go to local plumbers or builders merchants and get vent size that has this free air requirements.
PS if its a suprima 120 take the door off :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Brilliant, thanks Shambolic! Think you 've sorted me out but I know who to ask now :LOL:

you can take the top and bottom off the cupboard or fit the vents there to save the door

Unfortunately there's no space to take top or bottom off, as it goes up to the ceiling, and down to the worktop...shame.

Best to sort this out asap, as the suprima looses at lot of heat, which can cause damage if trapped in the cupboard.

some suprimas dont need comp vents providing there are certain criteria met. eg boiler model and clearances around boiler, check MIs, or open the controls cover, it will tell you your model no, and go from there.

I checked last night and the model I have can be in an unvented compartment as long as it has the right clearances, and mine does, which is great. Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back