Potterton MF boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was installed some 7 years ago and works well. However British Gas have now said that its "At Risk" because there is inadequate ventilation. What exactly are the ventilation requirements. The boiler is installed in a hall cupboard which is at the top of a cellar which has a number of outside air-holes. There is then ventilation from this cupboard through to a conservatory.

Sponsored Links
Depending upon which potterton MF it is, it will require correct ventilation. If is an open flued model then it requires the ventilation for it safe operation.

If BG have left an AR notice then that would suggest it is an Open Flued model.

Open Flued Potterton MF's do not follow the general calculation for compartment and room ventilation but the manufacturers instruction clearly state the requirement with diagrams.

I am a BG engineer and try my level best to explain things fully to the customer. Both the requirement and possible options to ensure compliance. If you feel that BG have not explained things fully then ask them to return to explain.

They will also offer to quote to put things right, but you may need deep pockets for this.

If you want to query what there suggestions are then you can check back here.

Good Luck

Simon

Sponsored Links
The users guide says that "This floor mounted fan assisted gas boiler is available as conventional or balanced flue"
How do I find out which one I have?
unfortunately the range of different BG engineers all of who have different opinions does not give me a high level of confidence, hence my inquiries

A balanced flue will exit through the wall directly behind or to the side of the boiler and terminate on the wall outside, ventilation, though required if the boiler is in a compartment is not a reason to issue an At Risk notice about ventilation.

Conventional Flue boiler will have a 4/5 inch diameter flue pipe coming off the top of the boiler. This may exit higher up through the wall and continue to above the roofline or may go up through a chimney. With this type of appliance the correct ventilation is critical to its safe operation and as such may be the reason that you have been given an notice of potential risk.

The size of the vents require depend upon the size of the boiler. We know it is a Kingfisher MF but is it a 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 etc.

There is often a sticker inside the door at the top of the boiler next to the stat this will tell you what size the boiler is. You may find a gas council number (7 digits) 41-***-**

If this is not evident then check the benchmark booklet filled out by the installer??

Maybe the BG engineer has noted the size on the paperwork he left??

Otherwise the databadge is inside the boiler in an area only competent fingers can reach

If not call them back and ask a TSM to attend.

Hope this helps

Where in Surrey are you?

The CF of the CFL 80 suggests this is an open-flued model and as such requires correct ventilation for safe operation.

If the boiler is in a compartment then it requires the vents an high and low level. Best if these vents go directly outside, if not then the room that the compartment is in requires ventilation to outside air.

Room Vent size 101cm2

Compartment Vents
High 264cm2
Low 528cm2

Took this from the MI's for the CFL80

The boiler is installed in a hall cupboard (Compartment) which is at the top of a cellar which has a number of outside air-holes. There is then ventilation from this cupboard through to a conservatory.

The vents from the cupboard to the conservatory need to be sized as above and the conservatory requires a 101cm2 vent to outside.

Difficult to say current vents are wrong/right without seeing the installation.

Hope this helps

Any chance the conservatory was built after the boiler was installed? If so the conservatory company are in breach of regs

It's rather easy to ventilate most rooms sufficiently. I have same boiler and a ventilation grille on wall (although on cold evenings I have been known to use a large cereal box on shelf to prevent draughts through this hole!!!!!!). To make a hole, remove some bricks from the wall ( you can remove 2 square feet from a brick wall without affecting structure), or if there's only glass, take out a glass panel and get a glazier to put a vent in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back