Boiler whine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I recently changed a cloakroom radiator to a towel radiator in my house

When I topped the system back up I couldn’t get a lot of the rads hot without playing with all the valves to balance the system (they’re all now hot)

Since doing all of this, my 12 month old Baxi combi boiler has started making a whining noise every now and then (a bit like an old kettle), there’s also a faint sound of running water in some of the CH pipes

I’ve checked for air in the downstairs rads and they all seem to be clear of air when checked, but the upstairs rads have been bled twice now over the last month or so

Not sure if there’s still air in there somewhere or what?

Pressure is always at 1.5bar when not in use

Anything I can check or is it time for a heating engineer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have an indirect hot water cylinder, try bleeding the coil in the cylinder. Should have two fittings, usually with 22 mm pipe going to them, one above the cold water inlet (return) , the other generally about 150 - 200 mm above the return (the flow in). With luck you will have a bleed valve attached to the upper pipe, either manual (undo thumbscrew, don't lose it) or automatic (usually leak so cover caps screwed down. Undo cap to let out air).

Sorry, should have added, if you don't have a bleed valve, carefully and without forcing it slacken a compression connection. Use one as close as you can get to the cylinder, but try and avoid using the one actually going into the cylinder unless you are very careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back