Whining in central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Main combi boiler fitted 18 months ago, (it replaced a hot water tank in my airing cupboard and a cold water tank in my attic. A week after it was fitted I noticed a whining sound that seemed to be coming from the pipes, I could not pinpoint where as it seemed to be all over the house, I called the fitters back and they checked valves on the radiators etc, then said that they would have to rip up all the floor again to look, well at that time the whine was not to bad and I thought that I could live with it! so that is where I went wrong! this winter the whine is almost constant and loud, I cannot put the heating on auto as the whine wakes the family up in the morning, everyone who enters my home asks what the noise is! it is like having tinnitus all the time in your ears, my husband is sick of bleeding the radiators as it makes no difference, we are now desperate. Can anyone please help.

Sponsored Links
Hi John I have listened to the boiler many times and it never seemed to come from there, but listening closer today I can hear it coming from the big white pipe that sticks out from the top of the boiler and goes into the roof, not sure if that is a vent pipe.
Sandra

It sounds like a flue/fan problem on the surface of what you say... but could be stuck valve not open flly pump or worse gas/air problem.

Get the boiler on for central heating and turn the boilers ch stat down till the burner goes out. The pump should run on.
If the nose stops the its a gas/air or flue issue, if it continues check for thermostatic rad valves these have a habit of making some form of noises.

Check the flue for damge connection ect, play with the rad valves to see if you turn x rad off it stops short of that...
It be worth looking for yor boilers warranty and giving them a call, as the appliance needs to be checked out.

If the boiler is the source after all that it won't be a diy fix, Rgi time.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a flue/fan problem on the surface of what you say... but could be stuck valve not open flly pump or worse gas/air problem.

Get the boiler on for central heating and turn the boilers ch stat down till the burner goes out. The pump should run on.
If the nose stops the its a gas/air or flue issue, if it continues check for thermostatic rad valves these have a habit of making some form of noises.

Check the flue for damge connection ect, play with the rad valves to see if you turn x rad off it stops short of that...
It be worth looking for yor boilers warranty and giving them a call, as the appliance needs to be checked out.

If the boiler is the source after all that it won't be a diy fix, Rgi time.

Thanks John, we know its not rad valves as we have been turning then on off etc to see if that was prob. Boileris out of warrenty by 5 weeks! I checked this morning, got the guys who fitted it coming back on thursday, so I really hope they know what they are doing.
Thank you John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back