Boiler whirring !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I drained the system to remove three rads from downstairs as I am installing electric underfloor heating.

I refilled system and since then the boiler seems to have a mind of its own, everytime it tries to fire it goes for about 5 seconds then I get a whirring noise and it closes down again.

The only thing I can think of is air in the system. Yet I have bled rads etc.

The boiler is a Glow worm Fuel save Mk 2

Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
karawara88 said:
Today I drained the system to remove three rads from downstairs as I am installing electric underfloor heating.

Any ideas please.

I'd put the rads back in cos electric will be more expensive. Dont throw them out till after you have had your winter bill. Unless you're proper wedged up and can afford it of course.

The only thing I can think of is air in the system. Yet I have bled rads etc.

Good thought as the whirring noise is likely to be air in the pump. Turning it on and off for 20 -60 seconds at a time sometimes clears it.
After that you need to find more etc's A good starting place for etc's is bleeding the pump itself then follow the pipework up to a high point and see if you can find an air vent.

A bit more info about your system and where the noise is coming from would be helpful to us

Thanks for that, the rads have to go as the room is open plan and they take up needed wall space and the cost is something I will worry about when the bill comes in! Still leaving the pipes so I can re-install later if required.

What happens is, the boiler starts up and seems to work fine for about 5 - 10 seconds, then I get a noise that comes from the boiler that appears to vibrate through the house then the boiler goes back to pilot light, then starts the procedure all over again, I switched off the heating and it still did it.

My line of thought was the boiler is not drawing water in so turns itself off. :!: :?:

I am just about to go around and re-check the rads. I have a vent in the airing cupboard but no way will it turn. I will try the pump as I had not done that.

OK just turned everything off, bled rads, etc. turned water back on, boiler made gushing noise as water entered and pilot light went out, now the bloody thing will not light again. :mad:

I keep thinking about changing it for a combi, maybe nows the time.

I have a vent in the airing cupboard but no way will it turn

Thats the one :!:

Sounds like theres air in the boiler and its tripped an overheat stat.
Have a look in the manual for a reset button if it doesnt relight after leaving it off for a while.

Sponsored Links
I managed to get it lit again. Have bled the pump and the good news is I no longer have the horrible whirring noise, but it still lights for about 10 seconds then goes out.

I will try and get the vent undone in the airing cupboard which of course is conveniently located to make it as difficult to access as possible. :LOL:

UPDATE:

I have with much swearing undone the vent and now the rads have warmed up so it must be pumping water OK but still the boiler lights for about ten seconds then goes out, I tried running the hot water to see if would stay lit but it does not. Its now 1:20am so I am off to bed and will tackle it it in the morning. :mad:

Good, suggest you do a final bleed of the air vent, rads and pump though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back