Boiler / Y plan fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - my heating system has developed a bit of a strange fault which has stumped both myself and - although he only had a brief look - my boiler service engineer.

My system is a Glowworm Micron 70FF, gravity fed with F&E and cold water tanks. System is Y Plan with Drayton 7 day programmer, 3 port valve and rotary thermostat controls.

Most of the time the system runs exactly as expected. However, occasionally when the heating is running, it has a tendency to go into a state where the heating stays on permanently.

In this situation, nothing stops it from running except for a system switch-off and on at the mains. Until I power down, the pump runs continuously, boiler cycles and the house overheats. Reducing the thermostat or switching off the HW/CH at the controls has no effect. The 3 port valve is energised to the heating position and stays there regardless of inputs. Only a switch off at the mains gets things working normally again.

I've changed the synchronous motor in the valve with no success (I had a spare and know that a faulty motor is a common problem). After this, I ran a multimeter on the Y plan wiring and all seems in order (I have reasonable electrical experience to fault diagnose). The valves grey/white wires were energised the last time the fault occurred, even when I turned off HW & CH.

This all leads me to the thinking that either the programmer or the boiler's PCB may be faulty - mainly because I can't imagine there's much else to replace! - but wondered if any here have experienced this before I go replacing things for the sake of it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back