Boilermate 2000 Hot Water Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have read many threads relating to similar issues to mine and have checked / tried a lot of the tips, however still am having issues with the switching of the Hot Water Pump. Any help / suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Overview of work carried out on system since acquiring the property in Mar'16.

Mar'16 - Feb'17 System worked fine apart from quite a bit of noise evident while boiler pump in operation. Suffer from two cold radiators in the circuit one upstairs one down, lets park that problem for now!

Feb'17 Heating and Hot Water failed, nothing working, boiler not firing, first obvious problem was the header tank was almost empty, seized ball cock valve, replaced this and filled tank. Called out local plumber acclaimed to be knowledgeable about the system, he told me that the PCB (Control Board) had failed, they were no longer available and the system would need to be replaced. £3,000 quote arrived, tried another plumber (friend of the family) but unavailable at the time and has since stated he steers clear of these systems! Researched online and discover the PCB was available, ordered and replaced it myself - All good, system operating well from Feb-Dec'17 (apart from two cold radiators, park for now).

Synopsis of current problem...

Dec'17 Hot water failed on Tuesday morning, some hot water to shave but no way I was showering in that!! Removed the Boilermate cover and discovered some water leakage from Isolation Ball Valve immediately above the HW Pump, Pump all furred up and seized, electrics also failed, blew 3 amp fuse in isolator. Sourced compatible pump that day, with some difficulty removing the old one I managed to replace the pump, the offending ball valve re-seated itself after being closed, opened valves, no leaks, replaced the fuse, fired up - All good, lots of hot water, heating working normally - Had a lovely warm shower. Job Done.?

Wednesday morning, no hot water, tested the temperature sensors and obtained the following readings... Store 76, PHE 26 & DHW 8, running the "hot" water DHW continues to drop. Pump doesn't kick in, confirmed that no power is switching to the pump either at the pump or board. No Shower.

Did some more research and established that likely causes could be failed sensors, I read that these can be defective even when error codes not reported. So I ordered two GT153's but had to wait for delivery next day. Checked the header tank and also verified the bleed valve n top of the tank also bled water not air, I don't think there is an air lock.

Thursday morning, hot wired the DHW pump, perfect hot water for my shower, disconnected after shower and rewired to PCB as before. Obtained the temperature sensors and fitted first the DHW sensor since it is easiest, tested, same problem, no hot water. Tried restarting the system by using jumper 5 in the PCB, notable that the DHW pump didn't run in start up sequence, other two did. Turned off power removed jumper 5, restarted, no joy! Replaced PHE Sensor, lost a bit of water in the process since I didn't drain the tank, did get a lot of gurgling etc as system refilled afterwards. Went through start up sequence again, no joy, still no power to HW Pump when hot tap open.

Decided at this point to stop and take stock and hence ask the audience for advice. I tend to think that perhaps the PCB has failed again, but it's only been in there for ten months, could this be possible?? There are no error codes reported and it does just seem to be the HW Pump switching at fault. Anything else I have missed?

I have wired the HW pump into a temporary switch so that I can have hot water available at the flick of a switch, but I am wary that someone will leave this on at some point causing the pump to overwork and fail, any views on this????

I feel like I have exhausted all possible remedies but I have probably missed something obvious, apologies for the long message but wanted to be comprehensive.

One last point, when HW pump is running what is the maximum temperature I'd expect to achieve on the HW sensor?, with the old sensor I did get a reading on 99 which I thought must be incorrect, surely it must be less than the store temperature..?

Thanks for any help / pointers please, or is it time to fork out £3k and be done?? Adrian

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/boilermate-2000-hot-water-problems.493964/#ixzz50hMIrRSP

Sponsored Links
I tend to think that perhaps the PCB has failed again,
Not much else it can be - that's the only thing which switches the pumps. PCB component failure is common due to it being located in the hottest place possible.

or is it time to fork out £3k and be done??
Whether 3k is required for a new system depends on what is possible to install in your particular situation.
You are really just looking for the hot water provision - radiators can be connected direct to the boiler as in a normal system.

In any case, stop spending money on the Boilermate - it was designed poorly, manufactured cheaply, and was intended to fix problems that don't exist.

Sponsored Links
99 what ? 76 what ?? 8 what ??

how exactly are you hot wiring the pump ?
also how is your heating ?

Are you familiar with the BoilerMate 2000 System?

The figures are all degrees C, eg 99C, 76C, 8C.

The HW Pump has been temporarily wired to the power input terminals on the PCB with an inline switch to allow isolation when not in use (as only required while showering).

Thanks Adrian

Thanks for comments, it does seem like a new or refurb board is required for a quick fix and look for a longer term solution to replace the system.

Have you managed to fix the problem or get a new system? If not, have you tried replacing the heat exchanger? I had one with the system side so scaled barely any hot water would pass through. The BM failed to sense any water passing through so did not trigger the HW pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back