Boilermate 2000 Hot water or lack of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a problem with our boilermate 2000 providing hot water. Most of the time it is just cold, however on occasion we will get normal hot water but it doesn't last long.
I have already replaced a faulty DHW sensor, but that didn't help. The plate heat exchanger was changed 18 months ago due to scale build up.

From reading on the web it looks like the pump for the plate heat exchanger may be on its way out.
So can anyone tell me what part number I need and how easy it is to change the pump?
In the boilermate manual it mentions if it is necessary to replace a pump that only the pump head (motor pack) should be removed. Does this make the job easier?

Also does anyone know of a plumber in the Basingstoke area who deals with Boilermate?

Sponsored Links
check pump runs or not and if there is a feed to it! think a light should come on pcb when you run a tap.
i was once recommended by there tech guys to change both sencors if one goes wrong on the boiler mates and have done so since.

check the pump is set on 3 also the top and bottom pump speed sensors sometimes need replacing

Have you checked the water level in the header cistern?

What's the store temperature when you're not getting hot water?

When you open a hot tap, does the 'demand' segment appear on the display on the PCB?

If so, what does the DHW sensor read while the tap is open?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the water level in the header cistern?

What's the store temperature when you're not getting hot water?

When you open a hot tap, does the 'demand' segment appear on the display on the PCB?

If so, what does the DHW sensor read while the tap is open?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The header cistern has plenty of water.

The store temp is reading 72 and the min/max values are set at 71/74.
If the demand segment is a red line next to the digital number at the bottom of the display, then yes that comes on when a tap is opened.

The DHW sensor starts around 64 then drops to about 22 after a few seconds, then varies between 22 and 30.
I noticed that the pump for the PHE runs for about 10-15 seconds then stops for about 10 second, and repeats like this whilst the tap is open. Is this normal operation?

All pumps speeds are set to 3.
All 3 lights on the PCB work when the boiler is on, boiler pump is on & heating pump on. And the central heating is working fine.

Thanks for the help.

If the demand segment is a red line next to the digital number at the bottom of the display, then yes that comes on when a tap is opened.

The DHW sensor starts around 64 then drops to about 22 after a few seconds, then varies between 22 and 30.
OK, now please do this:

1. Turn off power to the BM2000.
2. Locate the supply to the DHW (i.e. secondary) pump.
3. Note the position of the live, neutral and earth cores, then disconnect them.
4. Locate the incoming live, neutral and earth, and connect the pump cores to those.
5. Reinstate power, then repeat the above observation of the DHW sensor temperature, and post the result here.

I noticed that the pump for the PHE runs for about 10-15 seconds then stops for about 10 second, and repeats like this whilst the tap is open. Is this normal operation?
Possibly you think it's stopping, but the pump voltage is modulated, so it might just be running more slowly. The above experiment will yield useful information.

OK, now please do this:

1. Turn off power to the BM2000.
2. Locate the supply to the DHW (i.e. secondary) pump.
3. Note the position of the live, neutral and earth cores, then disconnect them.
4. Locate the incoming live, neutral and earth, and connect the pump cores to those.
5. Reinstate power, then repeat the above observation of the DHW sensor temperature, and post the result here.

I have managed to locate the supply to the DHW pump, however I'm not sure where you want me to connect this to.
We have the boilermate 2000 with switch and there are a lot of wires.
Is it the live, neutral and earth cores going into the PCB? If so should I leave them connected to the PCB and attach the pump, or remove them from the PCB and connect directly to the pump cores?
What are you expecting this to show?

I have managed to locate the supply to the DHW pump, however I'm not sure where you want me to connect this to.
Have you located the connections on the PCB?

We have the boilermate 2000 with switch and there are a lot of wires.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Is it the live, neutral and earth cores going into the PCB?
Yes.

If so should I leave them connected to the PCB and attach the pump
Yes.

...or remove them from the PCB and connect directly to the pump cores?
No.

What are you expecting this to show?
The amount of heat transferred when the pump is running at maximum speed.

Inside the cover theres usually instructions and wiring diagrams. It tells you which buttons to press on the PCB Er will be displayed showing you which sensors are faulty. Wiggle the wire near the sensor to see if theres an intermittent fault as you look at the data for the relevant sensor.

Unfortunately Gledhill are under administration right now so they have no technical advice lines although I believe technical data is still available on tinternet

Inside the cover theres usually instructions and wiring diagrams. It tells you which buttons to press on the PCB Er will be displayed showing you which sensors are faulty.
In your dreams. ;)

Unfortunately Gledhill are under administration right now so they have no technical advice lines although I believe technical data is still available on tinternet
Yup - it's available here. :D

Tech data is available HERE

According to the site they have a new rip-u-off-0906 tech advice line as well.

60p a minute! By the time you wait through the queue that will probably cost about £18 just to listen to beethoven

Thanks for the link to the servicing manual.

So using the wiring diagram on page 25 (ie boilermate with switch facility).

I should connect cores from numbers 16 & 17 from the PCB and core 13 from the terminal block to which?
Also do I leave 18 connected to the PCB?

Thanks

So using the wiring diagram on page 25 (ie boilermate with switch facility)....I should connect cores from numbers 16 & 17 from the PCB and core 13 from the terminal block to which?
No, do as follows:

Remove the green from 16 and connect it to 3.
Remove the blue from 17 and connect it to 2.
Remove the brown from 13 and connect it to 1.

Also do I leave 18 connected to the PCB?
Yes.

And, before you switch on, verify that your BM2000 wiring matches the diagram. Assume nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back