Boilers and CORGI registered engineers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what people who aren't CORGI registered allowed to do as far as repairing boilers is concerned? Are boilers not supposed to be touched at all by un registered people or are there certain things (i.e. water rather than gas related bits) which can be touched which have no bearing on the gas supply?

Sponsored Links
Grey area. The gas regs say that no "work" can be done if not corgi reg. That includes changing a fuse.
Corgi differ - they aren't concerned unless the work is gas related - which includes installation, but if you could for instance change a combi pump if you could do it without taking the sealed cover off.

What builders definitely cannot do is install "everything except the gas supply", which is what a lot of them think!

Flue, vents, seals, structural ontegrity - all corgi only.

Provided that they are not doing the work as part of a business (they are not being paid to do it), they are allowed to do any repair work that they are competent to undertake. Proving competency is the important bit. Normally, this would involve being assessed under the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme. These assessments are only available to people who have successfully completed recognised training courses in gas installation and servicing or have previously worked in the gas industry.

If the boiler were later found to be in a dangerous state, because of incompetent repair work, then anyone who is CORGI registered would be legally obliged to report this to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). HSE inspectors would then question those responsible, and an expert would assess the answers. If any were found wanting than a court case could ensue.

So, unless a person is competent to do so, they should not break the gas supply to the boiler or any of the seals to the combustion chamber and flue system. Other work, on water and electrical components can be carried out - provided that it is done in accordance with IEE Wiring Regulations, Water Regulations, etc., and does not affect gas safety. This usually means following the manufacturer's instructions.

NB even CORGI registered operatives are limited in the types of work that they can undertake. A list of their competencies is printed on the back of their registration card.

ChrisR said:
Grey area. The gas regs say that no "work" can be done if not corgi reg. That includes changing a fuse.
Corgi differ - they aren't concerned unless the work is gas related - which includes installation, but if you could for instance change a combi pump if you could do it without taking the sealed cover off.

What builders definitely cannot do is install "everything except the gas supply", which is what a lot of them think!

Flue, vents, seals, structural ontegrity - all corgi only.

Am I not right in thinging that they CAN say install the flue, vents and fix boiler to wall, but it has to be testing and inspected by an COGI approved engineer, who also needs to apply seals, connect gas supply and issue a saftey inspection?

I feel I should know this now I am working towards COGI registration!!

Sponsored Links
Kimba a person can install his own boiler PROVIDED HE IS COMPETENT.

How a diy'er proves this is anybodies guess. They will also normally have no knowledge of gas safety regulations.

It is UNLAWFUL for anybody who is not CORGI registered to fit, or otherwise carry out work on, on behalf of a third person. The reward need not be in the form of money if that person offers a favour in exchange for working on a gas appliance the person doing the work is doing so for reward.

Alan

KImba - No. If he person is "allowed" to install it legally, then he can also test it. There is no difference in the requirement for the two. Alan is correct!

There is another thhread on this subject and I posted the following text, which has been lifted from the CORGI website, it may help in this thread too:Q: I am a qualified plumber, and have been in the plumbing industry for years. I am, however, not registered with CORGI. Can I install a boiler and pipework and have a CORGI-registered installer connect the gas and commission the installation?
A: NO! Many people are under the illusion that they can carry out this activity as it's being tested by a registered installer. The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back