I suspect my Boiler is not CORGI registered!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I Purchased a house 3years ago which had no central heating, Naively I was
recommended a Friend of a Friend to fit new Central Heating, I was sure he was
Corgi registered and was supposed to register the boiler however I am now about
to sell my house and suspect the boiler has not been registered(There is a
chance it has, however I am unable to contact the engineer, so am assuming worst
case scenario!).

I recognise I have been rather foolish, it was my first house purchase and in
the chaos of moving in etc I completely forgot to follow up the engineer and
ensure all the relevant paperwork had been done. The boiler has run perfectly
until recently, I have just had the Diverter replaced(broken O-ring) by a Corgi
and Gas Safe registered engineer who says the system is perfectly fitted.

Is it acceptable to have it either -inspected by a registered Gas Safe engineer
of Taken out and refitted by a Gas Safe engineer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
have some one come round and cp12 on the property
a land lord safty check solicter will acept this

Not a problem, The boiler registration thing is widely ignored.
It can't be done retrospectively.

Buyers' solicitors are (because they have to be) satisfied with the equivalent of a "Landlord's Gas Safety Record", which will cost probably £60 - 80.

The Building regs also require a room thermostat (exceot for some BAxi/Potterton boilers) and thermostatic rad valves at least in the bedrooms. You don't need to be Gas qualified to check those!

A boiler can be reinstalled to enable it to be notified to Building Control. Thats what this is all about. Not all engineers will do this but I am one of the few who will.

However, this can only now be done if is a Band A condensing boiler as these are the only type that can be fitted now.

A Gas Safety Certificate will satisfy MOST solicitors, but not all.

Its becoming increasingly common for mortgage lenders to require Gas Safety Certs now. Bought by the seller for the benefit of the purchasor.

A very few surveyors will also take an interest in gas matters. I saw one survey which had correctly identified a flue terminal which was incorrect. He must have been an ex boiler engineer!

Tony

Sponsored Links
A boiler can be reinstalled to enable it to be notified to Building Control
A complete waste of time.

Thats what this is all about.
No it isn't!

A Gas Safety Certificate will satisfy MOST solicitors, but not all.
I've "satisfied" a couple of dozen. Two ( or rather their junior clerks) objected, so I told them they were wrong. End of.
"Unless you can cite legislation which says the boiler has to come out", was close to the phrase I used.

Funnily enough, most solicitors don't have a clue what they are on about when it come to this kind of stuff, so don't worry about it.
Keep your mouth shut, your ears open, and don't volunteer anything; just play stupid.

Not only has the whole notification malarkey been widely ignored so far, it has now officially been sidetracked and will die a slow death.
Corgi were not particularly hot on it, and their successor Gas Safe Register don't give a monkey's whatsoever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back