not corgi registered

P

plr

I am just about to have a new boiler fitted and there is a chap (friend of the family) that can fit the boiler for 400 quid less than I have been quoted by others.

I rent the flat out.

should I get only a corgi registered person to do it or will it be ok to get him to do it then a corgi registed person to give it the safety check?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sorry that was not very clear. the friend of the family is NOT corgi registered.

If you rent the flat out you are responsible for getting only approved corgi engineers to not onlt install but to service all gas appliances & have a tightnest test carried out every 12 months (like an mot on a car) if not you will no doubt suffer the consequences. These regulations have been put in place due to the high number of carbon monoxide incidents in rental property

four hundred notes?

Are you just another landlord that thinks your saving a few quid by getting a friend of a friend to 'whack a boiler in'

Your brand new condensing boiler will be wrecked in 6 years by sludge (after you have put a few new heat exchangers in it).

But go ahead....the CORGI men who need work will be you best friends once that boiler gets out of warranty.

Dont you care about a property you own?

David

Sponsored Links
i bet a weeks wage he goes with the non qualified person

i also bet the installation will have numerous faults on it.Mind you i knew a British Gas guy who had been installing for 30 +years and never fitted a prv pipe to any of his combis. :confused:

You must be some kind of uber idiot, you are a landlord FFS! you have a duty of care to your tenants and if owt happens and the powers that be find out you used a NON CORGI reg person to install your boiler (and believe me with gas notification they WILL) both you and your so called "friend" will get your collars felt and you'll be banged up before you can think

Are you really considering endangering inncocent people who are renting your property in good faith just to save 400 QUID!!!!!!!!!

the mind boggles, if you werent renting the place out i would say "go ahead kill yourself sure st peter will be ok that you died to save a few bob" but what about the tenants

Sheesh

Firstly, because I dont know anything about plumbing or central heating that does not make me an idiot. An idiot would more describe a person who first assumes everyone knows about the laws of 'plumbing and central heating', and jumps the gun and start shouting his mouth off assuming he knows the whole background of the story.

Yes, I am a landlord. I dont own a string of properties just the one that I cannot afford to live in (which is the ONLY reason I am a 'landlord'). I have never had a boiler fitted or any such thing before and would never endanger the lives of anyone, including my tenant.

It seems I have been misinformed. I also got mixed info on the www, which is why I asked the question on here. If I just wanted to save the money I wouldnt have asked.

I guess you answered my question, but a simple - No, get the corgi reg person in would have been sufficient.

plr said:
Firstly, because I dont know anything about plumbing or central heating that does not make me an idiot. An idiot would more describe a person who first assumes everyone knows about the laws of 'plumbing and central heating', and jumps the gun and start shouting his mouth off assuming he knows the whole background of the story.

Yes, I am a landlord. I dont own a string of properties just the one that I cannot afford to live in (which is the ONLY reason I am a 'landlord'). I have never had a boiler fitted or any such thing before and would never endanger the lives of anyone, including my tenant.

It seems I have been misinformed. I also got mixed info on the www, which is why I asked the question on here. If I just wanted to save the money I wouldnt have asked.

I guess you answered my question, but a simple - No, get the corgi reg person in would have been sufficient.

Well said - some people are too far up their own a***s.
Surely the whole point of a DIY forum is to ask questions that you don't know the answer to.....Jeez

You asked essentially:
If I have a non-CORGI instal a boiler for £400 less than 'another quote', is this a good idea?

No - it's ILLEGAL for a non-registered installer to connect a gas appliance to the gas supply.

But it seems you're going to do this anyway.

If you do, the installation CANNOT be notified to CORGI. The first consequence of this is that you will not be able to show any certification for your boiler when and if the Home Sellers Information Pack gets started.

More importantly, when you get a CORGI in to provide a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate (which you're legally obliged to have), he could quite reasonably ask, given that it will obviously be a new boiler, to see the Notification Certificate. If you can't produce one, he MIGHT take 3 steps smartly backward and refuse to issue a LGSC. I don't think this is very likely BUT I personally would seriously consider charging more than standard amount for an LGSC if I had grounds to believe that gas work had been done by a non-CORGI. I would justify this because I'd be obliged to go through all the gas plumbing very carefully rather than just do simple 'drop test'.

What people here don't seem to grasp is that CORGI regs work on the principle of 'last man standing'. If a fault is discovered and / or something unpleasant happens involving gas, if a CORGI was the last person who 'worked' on that gas system, then he's responsible and stands to lose his registration and his livelihood, and potentially go to gaol.

For once I agree with you, croydoncorgi. I think it's right that there are laws to prevent non-CORGI engineers from doing work which may endanger the general public.

Regrettaby, a number of CORGI engineers are abusing the law in order to line their pockets. The Landlord's also correct that there are a lot of rude, condescending CORGI engineers on this forum who do nothing to enhance the image of their profession.

Referring to potential customers as 'gobshites' and 'idiots' is a unique way of trying to sell a service.

Most of us non-experts on here are asking questions which an experienced professional should have no difficulty in answering, and which would encourage customers to do business with them.

I'm actually coming around to the view that I would be better off getting a condensing boiler and re-doing my pipework in 1 hit. This view has been delayed by a week, however, by the tirade of abuse that I get from plumbers on this site.

Not all plumbers Jdey :LOL: Most of the people on this site are very helpful
they don't have to give advise but sometimes they do get razzed :confused:

Just for the record, now I understand how it works I will be only using a corgi registered person and have declined the non registered chaps offer.

I have no desire to break the law or more importantly put anyone at rick including myself.

Many Thanks for coming back to me and the info.

(I cancelled my registration after yesterdays comments but re registered to reply)

The problem to me is that installing new fan flued boilers is not ROCKET science :rolleyes: hence the fact that so many unskilled people fit them. and there's no one out there who bothers checking :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back