Bond Coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All
Recently taken down a wall in my bathroom and its obviously left two rather large scars in my walls. The walls are already covered in ancient vinyl silk paint. I was planning on plastering with a bonding coat and then either use normal plaster or easy fill to skim.
Would a bonding coat be best? (the vinyl silk is a bit knackered and bubbling in parts).
I have heard PVA is just as good a probably a bit easier.
Suggestions?
L

Sponsored Links
Been thinking about this more and more. There are two tapered plasterboard walls that will need to be skimmed, i will be using easy fill for this is as i am quite comfortable filling in tapered plasterboard with this and also a ceiling, i have done this before and can do this. The problem i will face are the other walls which are currently covered in vinyl silk paint which isn't in the best condition. Two of these walls have the scars where the old wall has been removed which are quite bad. Tiles are on all the walls which will have to be removed and are likely to leave a bit of a mess. Room is around 2.5m by 2.5m
From what i can see i have quite a few choices here:
1. Apply a coat of bonding plaster to all of the walls with the vinyl silk, this will provide a decent surface for the skim coat to stick to
2. Burn off all of the vinyl silk paint, will take ages
3. Dot and Dab new tapered plasterboard to all the vinyl silk surfaces and then taper like the other walls

Just trying to find the most efficient and quickest method

What would you choose? Or is there are better method for this. Time is my enemy here and i want to choose the quickest and easiest if possible

L

From what i can see i have quite a few choices here:
1. Apply a coat of bonding plaster to all of the walls with the vinyl silk, this will provide a decent surface for the skim coat to stick to
2. Burn off all of the vinyl silk paint, will take ages
3. Dot and Dab new tapered plasterboard to all the vinyl silk surfaces and then taper like the other walls

Just trying to find the most efficient and quickest method

What would you choose? Or is there are better method for this. Time is my enemy here and i want to choose the quickest and easiest if possible

L
Difficult to see without pics.

2. Definitely wouldn't try to burn the paint off - steer well clear.
1. You don't need a bonding plaster coat for multi finish skim. Any big scars eg. from the removed walls will need something like bonding to make them basically flat, but with reasonable prep on a basically flat wall, it should be possible to directly skim with multi finish. This is probably what I'd do.
Take off all the tiles I wanted removing - carefully! to preserve boards as well as possible. Scrape off the loose vinyl paint. I'd use a bonding agent eg WBA rather than dilute pva. You could use the latter, but timing is more critical for it to be tacky and it is water soluble so in a bathroom with a lot of moisture it is not ideal so I prob wouldn't risk it. WBA can be skimmed dry so easier and gives a good physical key.
3.seems overkill, you'd lose more space. Also need to make sure a decent base to stick the dabs to (no flaky paint). Read up on plasterboard in bathrooms too.

OK here are some pics of the scarring that the removal of the wall has created, there are two of them plus a large chunk out just above one of the windows.
20150919_095330.jpg
20150919_095325.jpg
20150919_095323.jpg
20150919_095309.jpg
20150919_095546.jpg
20150919_095309.jpg
85245-941b782f1a473b1cf70245d98ea914c0.jpg
85246-cb95bae338031c9be6c970373087ed70.jpg
85247-6137a619b70ba6285bb55ff78688e163.jpg
20150919_095546.jpg

Attachments

• 20150919_095314.jpg
    20150919_095314.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 277
Sponsored Links
I think the first step is to fill in the scars/gaps. they are quite deep as you can see, what would the best thing be to fill these in with, i can level off whatever i chuck in it but is it possible to screw into whatever i fill it with? Not too sure of what the best thing to fill these gaps with is. Above one of the windows there is a massive hole to which i will be screwing in some timber and then attaching some plasterboard to it but i am not going to easily be able to do this in these gaps where the wall was

Please show more pics of all the walls with the tiles off, and the hole above the window.

The cables running in conduit are vulnerable: altho i think vertical is Regs, its not safe there - if it wont stand proud, you can go over the conduit with metal capping. or move the cable drop to a Regulated safe zone?

The "scars" should be cleaned out back to blockwork. Plumb (drop) lines on either side of the scars and cut into the lines with a knife.

Fill the scars with S&C or browning or whatever is handy - leave shallow, and skim to the cut lines. Presumably, you are intending to re-tile an enlarged bathroom?

All paper should be removed back to plaster. Sand and wash down old plaster. Sand the plaster board.

How has this work been lintelled over? I can see an unsupported two by pinned to something, is there a supported lintel above?

FWIW: remember to paint the ceiling before doing finish work below.

PVA the rough channel then use a weakish 5-1 sand/cement. ...................

<Moderator's note:>

Foolish abuse removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back