bonding a towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of getting an electric heated towel rail for the bathroom in a few weeks.

All plumbing in bathroom is plastic.

Will I have to run an earth wire back to the MET (TN-S) for the towel rail? Currently have access to the landing floor before a carpet is laid, so if so, I'll do it now before I lay the carpet.

thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Having come across a similar issue with my ongoing renovations here’s what my electrician told me.

The only things that need bonding back to the MET are the water and gas mains where they first enter the house.

All the incoming metal pipes and anything electrical (lights, shaver point, electric shower, electrically heated towel rail, etc.) within the bathroom will need bonding together locally but not back to the MET.

Hopefully someone more qualified can give you a more definitive answer.

Yes, all metal parts need to be bonded together, and ALSO to the cpc of any part of the installation within the bathroom. If this is an electric towel rail, then the metalwork must already be connected to the cpc internally, so supplementary bonding should not be required.

You don’t connect supplementary bonding in the bathroom back to the MET and you don’t include metallic parts (radiator etc.) if they are connected via plastic pipes. If your pipework is all plastic, then the only supplementary bonding you should need is between the CPCs (earth wires) of the different circuits entering the bathroom – which may be your towel rail supply circuit, lighting supply and electric shower (if fitted). This is explained and shown: here

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back