Installing a Heated Towel Rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking about installing an electric heated towel rail in my bathroom but just want to make sure it's a job I'll be able / know how to do .

Can anyone give me a quick guide? Also is it ok to tap into a plug socket outside the bathroom for powering the rail? ie.

Wiring
Towel Rail -> Switch outside bathroom -> tap into plug socket wiring

Is this job do-able for someone with good DIY skills?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You would normally take a fused connection unit spur from conveniently located socket outlet on the Ring or Radial circuit.
If the socket you spur from is part of a ring final circuit, the supply feed cannot be taken from a socket that is already an unfused spur.
You will also need RCD protection for the equipment in the bathroom and certain requirements of building controls notification may need to be complied to, as deemed a location that requires this.
Also there are zones within the bathroom and complaints electrcial equipment and accessories must kept and zones were cables can be routed safely.
Links below:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route

Thanks for the help, but I don't know even know what a spar is - so probably not wise to attempt this!

So I'm going to replace my radiator with a heated towel rail, as this should be much easier!?

Thanks for the help, but I don't know even know what a spar is -
Spar? Is a bath or an outlet to buy food, drinks etc.. It's a spur!
not wise to attempt this!
Probably right then.
So I'm going to replace my radiator with a heated towel rail, as this should be much easier!?
If this an electrical appliance, I refer back to this:
Thanks for the help, but I don't know even know what a spar is -not wise to attempt this!
In your case, it would be a wise move to employ an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Who's confused here?

You wanted to install a heated towel rail but

have been dissuaded by the advice and

have decided to install a heated towel rail instead.

EFLI,
I assuming (which I shouldn't)
That the OP has now turned to his plumbing skills, as they lack the ability not only to understand the advice given but to be able to follow it!

Yes, I'm going to plumb it in. It'll be easier to replace my existing radiator with a towel rail.

Cheers

Spar? Is a bath...
No, that's a spa.

A spar is a longitudinal structural member of an aircraft wing:

airplane-wing-components.gif

Airplane-Wing-Part-Diagram-Terminology.png

Yes, I'm going to plumb it in. It'll be easier to replace my existing radiator with a towel rail.

Cheers
What will happen in the summer when the CH is not on?

The same what's happens now..... sits on a cold radiator & get air dried!
So why bother changing the existing radiator for a towel warmer?

I want a rail that can hold more than one towel. I know I can get a normal wall rail but I've got a very small bathroom & it'll be too much going on. A decent rail will cost around £50+, so I might as well get a nice heated one!?

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to plumb it in, the filling & drilling won't be a problem! So might as well give it a go...... whats the worst that happen - flood the house!? ha

I don't really want to play around with the electrics when I havent done so before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back