Bonding behind skirting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to knock off all the bonding behind the skirting to lift some boards. This means I've got to put it back on again. Being as it's not going to be visible and I have a sander with hoover attachment it seems like a good job for a newbie. I read that I should use a 5:1 water:pva mix and if it just vanishes straight away, put on a second coat of same mix. Then you let that go off completely before applying a 3:1 PVA:water mix which you just let go tacky and the apply the bonding.

This good advice or a pro say it should be done differently? I got some pipes in there this is going to be touching, I have wrapped them in that bitumen tape whatever it's called so it shouldn't corrode them for many a year.

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok to me! Just remember to leave a gap,,, keep the bonding 20 mm or so, clear of the floor.

Sounds ok to me too :D

Had to do something similar at home when I ripped out existing skirting boards.

One thing I did do was fill the gap in two coats. Was quite thick in places and I was worried about some slumping.

The existing wall works as a good guide for getting it level using your trowel.

I read about this gap but the original bonding had no gap and it isn't on the ground floor. Does it need one?

Sponsored Links
in doesnt need one, but if you have a leak or something gets spilled the bonding is going to suck the liquid up like 'billy hoe' !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back