Bonding coat and plasterboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I’ve got a bunch of plastering questions about my house. I’d been planning on getting pro’s in for a lot of this, but have basically ran out of cash so having a go myself. Not done any plastering until now so looking for some advice here please:

1. Our old plaster and brick walls (1930’s house) have been chased out for a rewire and some of the chases are quite deep – maybe 40-50mm. I’ve filled some of them with thistle bonding coat about 10mm deep so far but some of them need to be filled in more to bring them up to level before the finishing coat. I didn’t realise the finishing coat should be done on the same day though (I’ve just read this). Will I be ok brushing on some diluted PVA before adding more bonding coat? I won’t have a chance to do this until later in the week (and there’s no central heating in the house just now which affects drying I suppose). Also would easi-fill be ok to finish this off, just to feather out on to the walls – I like that easi-fill sands so well and don’t think I’ve got the skills to skim the whole wall. Here’s a pic (of a fairly shallow one) that’s had 1 coat of bonding so far: http://i.imgur.com/75NXU.jpg

2. We had a lot of storm damage in early January (which insurance haven’t paid out for grrrr) and ended up taking down a chimney. We’ve now got a room with a big gap where the chimney used to be. I was thinking I’d just plasterboard that whole wall over the existing plaster and the gap at the old chimney. I’m not sure how to go about this though, any ideas? Here’s the wall: http://i.imgur.com/O97zr.jpg

3. I’ve done some taping and jointing on some new plasterboard with Easi-fill and it’s looking not bad after sanding. I’m thinking of either painting or maybe hanging lining paper – the only thing is that drywall sealer or primer seems to be quite expensive. Is there any cheaper alternatives or do I have to bite the bullet on that?

Thanks for your patience, any advice much appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
PVA over the bonding before the next coat is fine, put some on and let it dry then more and put the bonding in when tacky. easy fill is fine to go over it too.

Looking at where you chimney was it looks as it you need to rebuild the innner leaf of the wall with brick and tie it to the outer leaf!!

Water down emulsion paint and apply two or three coats instead of the primer, it takes a bit of coverage to hide the tape and fill though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back