bonding coat or DnD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a crack along the base of the far wall, a quick tap gave a very hollow sound so i removed some of the plaster. Unfortunately the problem was much bigger and now the wall has an L shaped gap in the plaster (entire left side and bottom, approx 2 feet wide) exposing brickwork. The rest of the wall seems to be nice and firm.

As the surface of the wall has seen better days i was considering a bonding coat using the unaffected plaster as a levelling tool, then skimming the entire wall (aslong as skimming onto painted surfaces is ok that is?). But am umming and arring about Dot and Dabbing plasterboard into the affected area's to bring it level, then skimming them flush with the remaining wall.

Any advice appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would think you would get cracks around the plasterboards if you dot n dabbed a small area out to make it flush.

I would think you would get cracks around the plasterboards if you dot n dabbed a small area out to make it flush.

completely agree. Have the same situation in an ongoing refurb. Filling the removed plaster with bonding has given good results. 12 months on and going strong!
Tho have put scrim tape on the join between fresh plaster and old before skimming to be safer - belt and braces!

PS btw wasn't up at 4am with insomnia! In the US on hol - iPods and wireless are wonderful things!

completely agree. Have the same situation in an ongoing refurb. Filling the removed plaster with bonding has given good results. 12 months on and going strong!
Tho have put scrim tape on the join between fresh plaster and old before skimming to be safer - belt and braces!

PS btw wasn't up at 4am with insomnia! In the US on hol - iPods and wireless are wonderful things!

Thanks for the info, did you bring the bonding flush with the old wall and skim it all? or just below and skimmed level? (sorry if thats a simple question, plastering has been something i've avoided so a little clueless :) )

Sponsored Links
It is possible to blend in locally but it can be difficult for the inexperienced to achieve with Multi-Finish & additional filler is usually required. As stated, fill out flush with Bonding, tape the joins & skim over the whole wall is the best way to go if you want a totally invisible repair & as the rest of the wall is not so good. Ensure there are no other “blown” areas though as they are likely to give further problems in the future. You should manage the Bonding OK; PVA the wall the day before then again just before plastering but fill it out in 2 stages to avoid cracking, apply the second just as the 1st goes off.

If you’re not confident about plastering, you need to do some further reading in the archive posts & have a go on a scrap board first but it may be best to get someone in to do the lot; get the base coat wrong & you could be wasting your time.

practice on a bit of board? what,on the kitchen table!

Wish i could practice, unfortunately being unemployed means any spare board/plaster would result in me not eating for the week (not all us benefit claimers are the cheating kind :) ), this job will need tools and materials which will mean i'll be relying on christmas donations to pay for bills...sucks for the family too, not getting a thing from me this christmas thats for sure! (well, except maybe some lumps of dry plaster. :D )

But thankyou all for your help, if i can remember i'll try to get a before/after shot..aslong as the after actually looks better than the before one. :LOL:

Completely agree with Richard C - a spot on answer!

I think if you intend to try, as you say it's only 1 patch, would perhaps opt for trying to blend the small area - after a bit if practice tho!
Trying a full wall is not simple either and whilst it's true will hide the join better, you could make more mess of the whole wall.
At least this way, any corrective sanding/filling or even attention from a pro later, would be simpler.

only other point worth mentioning is that I have also found blending a patch into a painted wall is more tricky than just a raw plastered wall. Even with pva on the paint area, when the plaster feathers thin, it can be easily dragged off. So maybe some sanding around the painted area first before pva will help.

well as it stands now the wall (around 7.5 square metres) is bare along the top, bottom and left (so a big C basically). From all the advice i'll be doing the following...

Sanding down the current plaster. Focusing on the edges so they taper off slightly towards the exposed brickwork (assume this will help the new and old plaster to form a better single surface).
Pva coat the bare brick.
First bonding coat.
Second bonding coat.
Smooth with the rest of the wall then allow to dry.
Sand down the joins.
Pva coat entire wall.
Skim coat x2.

(insert praying after each step)

If i mess up it will be a learning experience, so hopefully second time around will improve...and i doubt it could look any worse than it currently is. :D

well as it stands now the wall (around 7.5 square metres) is bare along the top, bottom and left (so a big C basically). From all the advice i'll be doing the following...

Sanding down the current plaster. Focusing on the edges so they taper off slightly towards the exposed brickwork (assume this will help the new and old plaster to form a better single surface).
Pva coat the bare brick.
First bonding coat.....

upon reflection this is a big a** section to blend in, and has to be better to attempt the full skim.

Also, can perhaps do your first skim coat only from 1st mix. Use a fresh mix for coat 2 ( immediately after).
I find this takes bit longer but gives me better results as less rush.
Good luck!

Sanding down the current plaster. Focusing on the edges so they taper off slightly towards the exposed brickwork (assume this will help the new and old plaster to form a better single surface)
Not necessary to taper, just break away the edge of the plaster with a hammer to make a ragged edge; straight edges not a good idea. If its vinyl or gloss paint on there, I use an old scraper to score the paint through in a criss-cross pattern & then a very stiff wire brush to provide a good key. Gloss paint needs either bonding primer or brush on a mix of PVA & Bonding plaster or you could use cement or even sand & let it dry thoroughly before plastering over.

Pva coat the bare brick.
First bonding coat.
Second bonding coat.
Bonding is really for low suction backgrounds so you must put a couple of sealing coats of PVA over the brickwork & let it dry off overnight, especially if it highly absorbent block work. Apply another 2 coats of PVA in quick succession & the 1st Bonding coat as it goes tacky. Get the 1st coat as flat as you can but don’t worry too much as it’s likely to go off pretty quick even with the PVA; you can keep it working with a little water from a kitchen spray bottle but don’t use too much or it will affect the plaster. You can then concentrate on getting a much flatter 2nd coat as it won’t go off as quickly as the first.

Smooth with the rest of the wall then allow to dry.
You should ideally skim the Bonding just after it’s gone off or at least the same day or it will suck the water from the skim coat & you’ll be in all sorts of trouble. If you can’t, put a sealing coat of PVA over the bonding & let it dry off overnight, as above, & then another 2 coats of PVA skimming just as the second starts going tacky.

Sand down the joins.
You don’t need to sand down the joins just blend in the Bonding with the existing plaster & stick some reinforcing tape over the joins before you skim; the finish skim coats will take care of the rest.

Pva coat entire wall.
Skim coat x2.
PVA 2 coats as above; it’s normal to use the same mix for both 1st & 2nd coats but as you’re not experienced you will almost certainly struggle for time; using DIYnewbee99’s tip of using a fresh mix for the 2nd coat will help. Don’t use too much water in an attempt to keep the plaster going or you’ll ruin the surface; once it’s gone, better to leave it & use some filler on the problem areas afterwards.

(insert praying after each step)
You won’t have time for that :LOL:

If i mess up it will be a learning experience, so hopefully second time around will improve...and i doubt it could look any worse than it currently is. :D
You’ve obviously taken the trouble to find out about it before attempting & that’s a big + but don’t expect too much from your 1st attempt. The experience will be very useful & enlightening &, you never know, you may turn out to be a natural which could be of considerable benefit to your current predicament; good luck. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back