Bonding Gutter Between Welsh Slate and Fibre Cement Slates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently getting quotes to get our house re-roofed.

It's semi-detached and currently all old welsh slate. The neighbour had his redone a few years back in reclaimed welsh slate. Our side now needs doing.

I'm happy enough with fibre cement slate and the quotes are considerably cheaper. But some of the quotes include a bonding gutter between our roof and the neighbours and some do not and I get different opinion from the roofers as to whether it is necessary or not.

Can anybody advise please? Do I need a bonding gutter as some are advising? Or will it be "absolutely fine" as I've been advised just to overlap our fibre cement with the neigbours real slate?

Sponsored Links
Things that would govern the use of a bonding gutter or not.
firstly slate size, use same size slate as your neighbours and same gauge then its possible not to use one.
Use a larger or smaller slate than your neighbours then you either use a gutter or soaker the join .
best option is reslate with real slate. and it will look good in twenty years time.....or should do

Things that would govern the use of a bonding gutter or not.
firstly slate size, use same size slate as your neighbours and same gauge then its possible not to use one.
Use a larger or smaller slate than your neighbours then you either use a gutter or soaker the join .
best option is reslate with real slate. and it will look good in twenty years time.....or should do

"possible" doesn't sound terribly encouraging.

Am I correct in thinking best (other than using real slate) is probably to use a gutter or soaker if the roofing materials are different even if they are the same size and gauge is the same?

Sponsored Links
same size slate at same gauge then it is possible not to use a bg ... better?

still confused, sorry. are you saying that only possible with slates of same size at same gauge.

ie not with fibre cement tiles and slates whatever the slate size and gauge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back