bonding pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do i need to bond the pipework to my mira power shower when ive chased the pipes into the wall and plastered over them - plus will be tiling over them, the unit itself will sit onto the wall with the pipes running out of the wall and into the unit so pipework won't be seen and seeing as the unit is plastic is bonding nescessary.

Sponsored Links
You need to bond from the earth terminal of the shower, to an earth on the lighting circuit, an earth on the heater circut, the radiator(s), the hot pipes, cold pipes, metal waste pipes.

Thanks RF was going to connect earth terminal with earth from spur which is lead to 3amp FCU which intern is earthed up to radial curcuit and CU i'm assuming this is ok also.

No, you still need to carry out the earth bonding as described above using earth cable with a minimum CSA of 4.0mm².
All the connections must be made in or near to the bathroom.
This needs to be in addition to the earth from your FCU

Sponsored Links
sorry i'm confused it says in the manual "Within the bathroomor shower room all accessible conductive parts of electrical equipment and extraneous conductive parts that are likely to introduce earth potential must be electrically bonded to earth using a minimum cable size of 4.0"

The pipes aren't accesible as are in wall and unit sits over them as they exit wall - sorry if i'm doing your head in but if your not in contact with any metallic parts do i still need to bond them.[/u]

mancduff said:
The pipes aren't accesible as are in wall and unit sits over them as they exit wall - sorry if i'm doing your head in but if your not in contact with any metallic parts do i still need to bond them.[/u]
Yes, as they are
mancduff said:
extraneous conductive parts that are likely to introduce earth potential
and there fore they
mancduff said:
must be electrically bonded to earth using a minimum cable size of 4.0"

I'm sure mira showers are internally earthed inside the unit to the cold pipe inlet connection.

Surely if all other circuits are bonded together and to the cold pipe or all circuits bonded to the cold pipe then this would be enough to satisfy the regs?

RMS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back