Bonding plaster and tiling so much confusion.....pls help

Sponsored Links
I never override the instructions of a manufacturer as the manufacturer is legally bound to represent their product accurately.

I suggest you adopt the same attitude.
And there's the rub.
Define accurately.

By the way, you a manufacturer???

The instructions on the back of the pack. If the product didn't work it would be taken off the market. Would you take back a tub of glue that didn't glue? Or a light that didn't light? For heaven's sake, if the stuff didn't work the shops wouldn't stock it.

Sponsored Links
The instructions on the back of the pack. If the product didn't work it would be taken off the market. Would you take back a tub of glue that didn't glue? Or a light that didn't light? For heaven's sake, if the stuff didn't work the shops wouldn't stock it.

they still sell alpha romeos and ive never heard of one that didnt break down at some point :LOL:

So you agree that Aquapanel is a good product and is the market leader because of that? Good.

And you agree that Unibond PVA does what it says on the back of the tin?

Good. We are in agreement then.

Nowhere did I say that Aquapanel was not a good product - just that I think that using tanked plasterboard is a superior solution and I will therefore continue to recommend its use.

The only problem with PVA is when it gets wet - I don't use PVA in wet areas so it's not a problem. I have no issue with using PVA as a tiling primer in dry areas.

Hi just a little update.....

Well i have now got myself some Bal Whitestar and Bal grout as advised by Gcol (thanks)

I have not skimmed over the bonding plaster with Multi finish as yet as i am still a bit undecided (thing is so much different info from you guys on the forums saying totally the opposite from each other has left me confused.....only one of you can be right i guess :) )

I contacted British gypsum today and Bal and they both kinda said that it should be ok to put whitestar over the bonding plaster and then once dry (24 hours or so) then tile over that with more whitestar.

Does this sound ok or should i carry out previous advice and still skim......i am just worried that because i did not key the bonding and it has been dried for a couple of weeks now that i will not get it to form a good bond with the multi finish...... if i do skim with multi finish British Gypsum did indeed say that it should only take 2/3 days to dry being that it is a 1-2mm skim which is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

I am looking to start this again at the w/end.......so all advice appreciated.

I contacted British gypsum today and Bal and they both kinda said that it should be ok to put whitestar over the bonding plaster and then once dry (24 hours or so) then tile over that with more whitestar.
Have a read of point 13 on here http://www.tiles.org.uk/help/answer-gypsum.shtml
"When it is known in advance that tiles are to be fixed to a plastered wall, it is essential that there should be good adhesion between the undercoat and the plaster finish coat. Tiles should only be fixed to the finish coat and must not be fixed directly to a gypsum undercoat."

Then at the bottom of the page it says:
The Tile Association wishes to acknowledge the assistance provided by British Gypsum and the Federation of Plastering & Drywall Contractors in the drafting of this advice note.

You've gotta be careful who you speak to when you ring technical help lines. Who's to say that the person you spoke to didn't start there on Monday? ;)
And what does "kinda said it was ok...." mean? Sounds like someone isn't too sure if you ask me.
Should you skim the walls or tile onto the bonding???? That's your choice. ;)

the area in question is a patch where a loss occurred of 2 foot by 3 foot and another a little bit smaller all on the same wall where the shower spoilt the plaster due to it not being tanked (yes i am going to tank the shower before i re-tile)

I am happy to skim with plaster if it is the right thing to do, all i am worried about is that the 1mm skim will be too thin (i cannot really get away with doing it any thicker) and that it will not hold or bond well onto the bonding plaster, i know zilch about plaster and how well it bonds/need to be done whilst wet/the old chestnut of pva or not to pva to help it bond as i did not key the bonding plaster, I know i could use Thistle bond it but it comes in 10ltr size and i will only need a cup full ;) and it would be such a waste as i would not use it again.

I did Gcol.......How to apply a coat of multi finish....pls help :(

And if you see the replies i have had you will see why i am none the wiser.

Before i posted any questions on this forum i was sure that i would be pointed in the right direction and get the answers but ironically i am left more confused than when i started out :cry:

Ah I've just read your post in the plastering section. I can now see why you're confused. Basically you've been misfortunate enough that on both posts Joe-90 has been posting his usual nonsense. What you need to realise is that Joe likes to wind people up - if you want to read a few opinions about him, have a look at a few posts in the general discussion forum. Take my word for it, he's a pratt.

Gcol. You are no plasterer. You can tile on to bonding - you tell us all why you can't please.

What I'm telling the poster is that if tile adhesive won't stick to bonding then neither will finishing plaster. That's a fact. Care to prove otherwise? The Tech dept at Unibond say exactly the same. Are you saying they are wrong too? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back