What plaster behind tiles in a shower cubical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have had to pull my mums en suite apart due to the shower leaking and the plaster board falling apart. The room is basically build in the corner of another and has 2 block walls and 2 stud walls.

The shower cubical is on one stud wall and one block wall. I was going to replace the plasterboard with moisture resistant plasterboard and then tank.

However when stripping the tiles from the breeze block wall the plaster behind has mostly come away with the tiles the whole way back to the block work. So i now need to replaster this before i can tank then tile. The plaster is roughly 15-20mm, what plaster should i use? bonding then skim with muiltfinish?

The reason i ask is i want get on and finish the room as soon as possible and i know you are supposed to leave bonding 2 weeks to dry out and then having to wait for the skim to dry out as well means the job will take ages to finish. Is there a quicker method i could use so i could tile sooner?

Many thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Forget tanking and use aquapanel.

Thanks for the reply, i didn't think i should use aqua panal as from what i understand, it cannot be dot and dabbed to blockwork (i may be wrong).

so even if i use aqua panal on the stud wall, i will still need to tank the plaster on the block wall, and therefore may as well tank the whole lot.

No. You dot and dab in vertical lines then when set you drill through the dabs and fix mechanically.

Sponsored Links
Thank again for replying Joe. I have now done some more reading on aquapanel and im not sure it would be suitable.

I was going to tile just inside the shower cubicul and a splash back behind the sink. The rest of the room the would be painted and the 2 plasterboard wall would not get skimmed.

This poses the problem of how to get the aqua panel to join the rest of the plasterboard. I dont think i can have the aqua panel wider than the cubical as it would be exposed as the finished surface on the wall, and i understand it cannot be taped and filled (as it is not tapered edged), painted or skimmed.

So the other option would be to cut the aqua panel just slightly smaller than the tiled area and have the plasterboard just go behind the tiles about 10mm or so. However this seems to defeat the object as if i did get a leak it would probably be at the edge if the mastic failed.

I did come across Lafarge GTEC Aqua Board while doing a bit of research, and by the look of there youtube video it looks like it can be taped and filled and used as a finished surface, but i cant see anywhere that stocks it.

so what method would you use it this situation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back