Bonding to 3 inch across Gas Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In an empty wharehouse where we're just starting work, theres a large supply coming in with its main earth using a 35mm earth cable. I'm going to use 25mm earth for bonding to the gas and water main, however the gas pipe is 3 inches across. And i havent done bonding with that size of earth and pipe before. How do I bond to it? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Firstly what type of supply? Is it TN-S, TN-CS or TT? What size supply? You need to bond the gas pipe and any other extraneous conductive parts (eg water, metallic structure etc) to the MET using the correct size cable and clamps - clicky.

bonding straps used to be available in a cut-to-length perforated strip. Not sure if this is still used?

but handy for e.g. cast-iron 4" soil pipe, constructional pillars and stanchions, industrial piping. I have an idea it was stainless or phosphor-bronze?

They come in several lengths - just ask.

You can also get ones with a larger terminal suitable for lugging to.

Sponsored Links
its a TN-CS system. Went and got one of those heavy duty earth clamps. Boss said 'grand job lad', So it must be right. Thanks

What size are the live and neutral tails? Do you know what they are fused at?

Out of interest, is it CT metering, with single ins tails in trunk?

Just for the record, you need to consult the electricity supply company regarding the size of cable you need to use for Main Equipotential bonding for TN-CS (PME).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back