Bonding uPVC skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We bought a 1930's house last year and every room needs doing. We started with my son's room and took it back to bare walls and got it all plastered etc. I wanted to put new skirting boards in and someone said try uPVC as its less maintenance, so we did. My brother told me to bond it to the walls with White Gripfill. I did but found that it has come unstuck in some places. We had some new windows put in the other day and the fitter said about using a good silicone to bond stuff together including skirting boards as the silicone is flexible. Is this a good idea? It sounds ok. I got to put some more boards in soon in our toilet under the stairs and don't want to use Gripfill again.

Sponsored Links
By all means use silicone but there is no reason why grip fill wouldn't work, can I ask did you scratch up the back of the skirting first?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I didn't scratch it up but the skirting board had grooves in the back.

The groves should give it enough bond, whatever you decide to use just another quick tip is to use something heavy such as bricks to hold it against the wall when drying, cover them in old rags just to be sure you don't scratch the skirting

Sponsored Links
I always use sticks like ****.

PVC skirtings look OK at first, but they will get scratched, and then you can't do anything about it then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back