Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a house that i am in the process of renovating. I've pretty much done the wiring and its been inspected next week. The thing i'm stuck on is the bonding.

Here is the set up -

Gas Supply - Plastic Pipe from street onto Meter, copper from meter to boiler (about 8 meters).

Water Supply - Plastic pipe into stop cock, about 1 meter of copper pipe to boiler then plastic after that.

Central Heating - 1 st meter or so in copper then onto plastic pipe and plastic joints throughout the house.

I currently have a 10 mm CSA earth wire from the copper gas pipe to the MET. What other bonding needs to be done? Its 17th edition by the way.

Hope you can help - if not, i'll wait for the efirst fix inspection and see what he says.

Sponsored Links
OSG states;
There is no requirement to main bond an incoming service where the incoming service pipe and the pipe within the installation are both of plastic.
Where there is a plastic incoming service and a metal installation within the premises, main bonding is recommended unless it has been confirmed that any metal pipework within the building is not introducing earth potential.
All bonding connections are to be applied to the consumers side of any meter, main stopcock or insulating insert.(within 600mm consumer's side of meter and stopcock or at the point of entry to building, if service meter is external)

This should be done before any branches and
there should be a bonding plate on the underside of your boiler that should bond all metal pipes,

Thanks for that -

Still not sure what else needs bonding. As a side note, the boiler manual states

"This boiler must be earthed using an appropriate bonding clamp"

I thought the boiler was earthed via its supply via the CPC running through the house. Do I need an additional earth bond from the boiler to the MET?

Bonding is confusing, and there seems to be differences of opinion. Does the water pipe need bonding? As said above, its plastic from the supply to stop cock, then 1 meter of copper to boiler. All pipes from boiler are copper for the first meter then its all plastic.

I'm confused and need beer.

Thanks again

Will

You have main protective bonded the gas.
I would still main protective bond the water pipe near where it enters (on the copper part!)
The days of supplementary bonding boilers are gone (in domestic installations anyway). The boiler will be earthed via it's supply.
The heating pipes will not need main protective bonding as they do not enter the property from outside the equipotential zone so cannot introduce a potential.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to main bond an incoming service where the incoming service pipe and the pipe within the installation are both of plastic.
Rather than saying "there is no requirement" wouldn't it be more appropriate for the regulations to state "it is obviously unnecessary"?

Rather than saying "there is no requirement" wouldn't it be more appropriate for the regulations to state "it is obviously unnecessary"?

No, because the requirement for bonding would have to be determined by a competent person evaluating the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back