bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have a 4mm earth from my cu to the bathroom where it is connected to bath and sink pipes, i've now been told to take an earth from these pipes to either the light switch or the light fitting?? do i keep the 4mm earth connected to the cu or disconnect it?

Sponsored Links
You do not need to have the earth connected to the CU, use that cable to go to the light switch and keep what's left over for next time you want some.

If you have an electric shower, or a shaver socket, you need to bond to the earth terminal of that circuit too.

And to the radiator pipes if you have one.

And to the immersion heater and CH pump if either of them is in the bathroom.

Basically, to the earth conductor of every circuit in the bathroom.

In addition to what John D has said, the incomming water main (and the gas) should be bonded in 10mm² to the MET (likely to be the CU earth terminal, though it could be separate) within 600mm of point of entry before any bonding.

I say this, because your 4mm² earth to the CU might have been main bonding to a previous edition ?

Within 600m of meter, in the case of gas, or at point of entry into building if meter outside. In the case of water, within 600mm of outgoing side of stopcock.

Sponsored Links
In the case of the Gas its 'not further than 600mm from the meter outlet and before any branch in the pipework'.

Sorry, I was just thinking of supp bonding and had failed to consider the main :oops:

jonny1 said:
hi all, i have a 4mm earth from my cu to the bathroom where it is connected to bath and sink pipes, i've now been told to take an earth from these pipes to either the light switch or the light fitting?? do i keep the 4mm earth connected to the cu or disconnect it?

I read your post the same way Johnd did. So that we don't confuse you, can you confirm if your talking about bathroom bonding or main bonding because they are two completely different subjects

Just to try sum things up for ya...

If its main Bonding that should now be done with 10mm to within 600mm of the incoming water supply to the house. Some older instalations were fitted with smaller bonding cable tho...

If its supplimentry Earth bonding your doing then the aim of this is to make sue you have a continuose link back to earth from any electrical item in your bathroom area.

The (Main bonding) conects the main pipework to earth, thus all you need to do is add (supplimentary bonding) to the current pipework in your bathroom (as long as theres no plastic joins / pushfits in the pipework your ok)

Best to make sure you have both bath pipes and if bath is metal bonded together, same with sink, and radiator. then you also need to bond the electrical earths to this curcuit.... Ie your light switch earth, shower switch earth and any other item thats electrical that is placed in the bathroom, or adjoining boiler.

Dont worry if you have an electric shower, as long as you bond the Showers switch, that will be fine, as its part of the same cucuit.

REMEBER ITS EARTH TERMINALS YOU ARE BONDING TO THE PIPE WORK....and NOT the + or - terminals.

Well Hope thats helps, took me some time to get my head around it, but think i got there in the end with the help of JohnD and others on here.... Also helps to buy the odd book on electrics too... Its amazing what you find out with a little investigation.

Feel free to shoot me down guys if im off the mark with any of these comments....

Very close MasterAbacus.

TNC-SEarthing.jpg

TN-SEarthing.jpg

TTEarthing.jpg

SuppEarthing.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back