Books on how to cook with modern appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems daft Mrs Beeton was born about the time when the first gas cooker was made and died well before they were a commercial success so her books should explain how to set dampers on a solid fuel cooker which could heat the oven from top or bottom but when I read the book nothing about old solid fuel ovens but it has got gas mark something which seems a little strange.

So I rarely cook, only when wife goes away so it is always a case of get out the book. So read the book and it says conventional and fan nothing about top heat with or without fan, bottom heat, or back heat with fan or combinations even though solid fuel cookers have been able to direct the heat where required for 100's of years.

OK I look to the microwave and pour the veg into the pressure cooker and look for cooking times. OK microwave time given but not when put into a pressure cooker which will clearly require less time.

OK manufactures books do have some examples but it would seem most the cook books on my self don't tell one how to use a modern fast electric cooker they all seem to be for slow gas cookers.

Even the pans I asked when I bought pans are there any covers to keep the pans warm rather than for them to radiate the heat into the room. They looked at me as if I was daft yet only minutes before I had watched a demo on how a £5 note under the pan remained undamaged after boiling a pan of water so why no insulation around the pan?

Same with electric kettle why no insulation? To be fair I do have a 12 volt kettle for a car with insulation so once boiled water stays hot enough for coffee for a couple of hours but why not with 230 volt kettles.

Edit found one Vektra 1 Eco Kettle - 1.2 litre Vacuum Flask Kettle - keeps water hot - White - VEK-1201W but they do seem rare.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back