How to cook man stile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I want to school we were not taught how to cook that was a girls thing. And although I watched my mum pulling the dampers out and pushing them in I don't have the first idea as to what they did. Other than it affected how the oven was heated.

Today we have it seems turned full circle and the electric oven now has the sort of control associated with the range cookers of yesteryear.

So I have it seems three elements and a fan in my oven so heat can come from bottom, top or back with or without fan assistance in all 11 options on how to heat my oven. Thank god it has not got a steam option.

The same multi-options exist on the hob with boost controls and auto-boil then simmer functions. Detents in both directions when I turn the knobs select the functions.

OK as a man I understand how to activate all these options. Top oven a little simpler no fan and only 4 selectable options but how does one learn how to use them all?

A little was explained in the cooker manual and yes using the fan grill in bottom oven does work. Far less labour intensive than using top grill with door open. But in the main I cook by reading the packet.

There is nothing on my Fray Bentos tin to say which options should be used. It says conventional oven 230 degs C for 25 - 30 minutes and for fan assisted oven follow manufactures guide lines.

What is a conventional oven? Is that with top heat only, bottom heat only or both? Even back in the days of the old Eagle range the dampers would alter which areas of the oven got warm. I remember my mother wondering how people ever cooked with gas as it had so little control compared with solid fuel.

So there must be from the days of solid fuel cooking books to tell one how to use an oven with control rather than a gas oven (Which I guess is what is mean by conventional oven i.e. no control just light blue touch paper and stand back) but where will I find it?

Sponsored Links
conventional oven means 'not fan'

back/side heat and fan will cook most things without burning the top of pies, you probably need to drop the temp by 20-30degC compared to 'conventional'

Fray bentos are 200 C. But they're not as nice as Tesco Roast Chicken Pies :)

Come back and ask again when you've moved on to meringues and souffles. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back