Boost pressure sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I own a vauxhall combo van 1.3 07 reg.
I've been having trouble, where I accelerate to near 70, and the engine management light comes on and the vehicle runs in 'safe mode' where there is very little power and it's very sluggish.
I was told it was a MAP sensor so I had it replace, but this did not fix the problem. I took it to two garages one told me I needed a new turbo which I questioned immediately. Another ran a diagnostic, and that it is the boost pressure sensor needed replacing and that will fix the problem, and the reason the other garage said replace the turbo was because they're too lazy to fit the pressure sensor. Is there anything else that could be causing the problem, and is my garage right to replace the pressure sensor?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
i believe there isnt a boost pressure sensor, the map sensor is responsible for this job. How does the car drive throughout the rev range, can you feel the turbo kick in?
Did you fit a genuine vauxhall map sensor?

Yep the map sensor was genuine, and I got it fitted by a mechanic, the garage are convinced it's the boost sensor, the van drives smoother since I had the map sensor changed, and the turbo kicks in then kicks out and doesn't rev above 3500rpm. I've been given a price for the boost sensor and everything they said its inside the pipes or something? They quoted 114.70 and are that convinced they said they wouldn't charge if it didn't fix the problem, but I've read so many posts that say lots of different things, it just confusing.

pretty sure that engine doesnt have a boost pressure sensor, may be wrong. Its worth cleaning the egr valve out first as its cheap and usually the cause of many hesitation problems.

Sponsored Links
couldnt tell you exactly where but it will be on the inlet manifold somewhere, it will have a small pipe coming out of it to the exhaust manifold and an electrical plug attached

Any idea what the actual fault code was??

I would recommend you take it to a garage that understands vauxhalls
From the description it sounds like the second garage reading the faults and interpreting them wrong.

My guess is that you are getting an overboost fault from the turbo causing it to go into limp mode.
as you have already changed the MAP sensor (it is the boost sensor) so it is not giving an incorrect reading then it is most probably the wastegate jamming on the turbo. extremely common on these.
Just need releasing and cleaning, Pretty easy work to do, but of course they all want to charge 1000 plus fitting for a new turbo instead!!!

clean the egr out first, its a fairly easy job and is normally the cause of 99% of these type of problems on a diesel engine. If that does not work then its on to the next suggestion as above to investigate the boost issues.

Sponsored Links
Back