Booster Pump into Combi Boiler? DIY solution?

It surprises me that Diyitall is having a kind of conversation with BB.

Perhaps Diyitall has not noticed there is now an "ignore" button beside all of BB's postings!

Hey Agile why should I ignore him :rolleyes: Entertainment comes in many forms :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It surprises me that Diyitall is having a kind of conversation with BB.

Perhaps Diyitall has not noticed there is now an "ignore" button beside all of BB's postings!

Well use it you dope!!!!

Sponsored Links
This morning, the boiler gauge pressure had dropped to 0.5 Bar. OPening the valve increased this to 0.75 bar, but it still wasn't enough to switch the boiler back on.

So I've decided to go with the tanks and pump solution, but I have a couple of questions:

1) If I close the valves, is there a way I can manually pressure up the heating system to get the boiler running again?

2) Are some booster pumps better than others - Is this the kind of thing I need? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOSTER-PUMP-...14&_trkparms=72:1686|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

3) Lastly, someone mentioned I'd need an expansion tank in the loft as if I opened a tap upstairs there would be no flow with the pump switched off, so this lack of flow would not trigger the flow switch to switch ON the pump. I do understand that but if the static pressure inside the tap when closed is 2.5 bar (with the pump off), then opening the tap should create flow - right? The pressure will then drop and the pump should switch on - right? So do I really need a vessel in the loft? Remember this pump is going to be sited approx 7m BELOW the level of the highest taps. Would a pump with a PRESSURE switch, be better than a pump with a FLOW switch?

thanks
Guy

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Its probably better to have a pump with a small expansion vesssel and a pressure switch.

However these will occasionally run for a few seconds to combat leakage so might need to be on a time switch to avoid annoyance ( and water use ) during the night.

Be aware that they are a little noisy!

Tony

The pump must operate on pressure loss and not, flow.

No, you don't need a tank in the loft.

What is the bar rating of that pump, you should be looking at 2bar minimum, I would also fit a pair of pumps with a switch over.

Noise should not be a problem if they're sited in the garage.

the pump is rated at 5bar / 60l/min, but I'm assuming I could turn down the pressure switch. Dual redundant pumps eh? I had planned to run a mains bypass (with check valves) so I could revert to lower pressure mains water in an emergency (no power).

As far as build quality and reliability is concerned, are some pumps better than others? Am I better with a lower capacity pump?

cheers,
Guy

I've always used pump sets as in the pic.

Imgp0994m.jpg

You may have noticed the cold feed isn't connected yet Tony :rolleyes:

Pop round to drayton gardens and you'll see it's working as designed.

I have around 1 bar pressure (tested this morning at the mains stopcock) and my main bathroom is upstairs which gets minimal shower flow, and the combi for the whole house is in the loft. The bath which is also upstairs also takes more than 20 minutes to fill to anything like a decent level.

Are you talking about Hot water? I imagine you are, a booster pump won`t deliver better flow or greater hot water to your shower etc, you have been sold a dummy. i.e Combi, they are useless and only supposed to be fitted in small houses or flats. Don`t believe the ridiculous hype, combis Suck. ;)

I have around 1 bar pressure (tested this morning at the mains stopcock) and my main bathroom is upstairs which gets minimal shower flow, and the combi for the whole house is in the loft. The bath which is also upstairs also takes more than 20 minutes to fill to anything like a decent level.

Are you talking about Hot water? I imagine you are, a booster pump won`t deliver better flow or greater hot water to your shower etc, you have been sold a dummy. i.e Combi, they are useless and only supposed to be fitted in small houses or flats. Don`t believe the ridiculous hype, combis Suck. ;)

No Bamber, he's talking about the incoming main, so intends to install a storage tank and whole house booster pump.

I have around 1 bar pressure

Poor.

and my main bathroom is upstairs which gets minimal shower flow, and the combi for the whole house is in the loft.

How big is Combi?

You cannot pump from your main cold supply, it is against the law, I would suggest that you go for a hot water storage system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back