bootlace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anyone know where I can get some bootlace crimps 2 into 1's if poss I have tried maplins rs and a few others but I can only see Blue, Grey and Black I really need Blue,Brown Yellow for obvious reasons I am building a panel for a set up of ELV lighting and want it to be as near as poss idiot proof.
DM

Sponsored Links
erm, Mags, the colours relate to the size of the crimps, they are not for conductor identification!

Sponsored Links
rocket, yeah thats what I figured I have not used them before and it seemed like solution, so thats been binned.
Gary, thats probably the route I will go, L,N,E. then number off the circuits at each end makes more sense than trying to colour code the set up, It's a lighting control panel for a theatre group to control the gantry lights a mixed bag as far as I can tell ELV, LV, LED's and a whole bag of stuff I cant recognise, any one done this kind of work with any tips got a whole spagetti of cables that look like scrap
DM
Cheers Guys

I am building a panel for a set up of ELV lighting and want it to be as near as poss idiot proof.
Bad idea.

In the interests of the gene pool you should not help idiots who mess around with control panels to get away with it.

;)

You could use coloured heatshrink over the crimp ends if you need to, if there's a real risk that crimp size ID might get confused with conductor ID.

You can also get clear heatshrink for attaching labels with.

However no-one technically unaware should be anywhere near anything crimped as it should all enclosed and inaccessible without the use of a tool.

However no-one technically unaware should be anywhere near anything crimped as it should all enclosed and inaccessible without the use of a tool.
Theres crimped wires in the back of my lightswitches in the kitchen and living room. :cool:

The trouble is thinking you know what you are doing and actually knowing what you are doing are very different things!

There's crimped wires in the back of my lightswitches in the kitchen and living room. :cool:

and how do you remove the light switches to get at those crimps? that would be a screwdriver then.. that's a tool isn't it? :rolleyes: ;)

You could use coloured heatshrink over the crimp ends if you need to, if there's a real risk that crimp size ID might get confused with conductor ID.

These are a good idea too but a bit fiddly to use.

These are a good idea too but a bit fiddly to use.

They're not fiddly at all as long as you use the ferrule tool to get them on to the wires and don't fanny around trying to use a screwdriver or fingernail!

Not fiddly at all with the right tool, failing that a 2" round headed nail works just as well for sliding them over cable ends. (Its amazing what you have to do sometimes on site! :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back