Bora alternator clutch pulley removal bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly, whoever did the last replacement has chewed the T50 socket on the end of the shaft so my T50 bit can't get a good grip.

Anyone know a way to lock the shaft so I can loosen the pulley?

Also, the tensioner pulley has a bit of clatter. Worth replacing?

full

Sponsored Links
Can you knock in a hexagon drive instead of the Torx.....not ideal I know but ot could get you out of a jam if it works.
I’d replace the tensioner whilst you are there - it’ll quieten things down a bit.
John :)

Have already tried a hex bit in which was a snug fit. Sadly it slipped.

Noted about the tensioner pulley. thanks

For what was going to be a quick 20 minute job .......

Its seems the shaft socket is actually a M10 12 point spline, not a T50 as I was led to believe so its me who damaged it trying to do an in situ pulley change. What joy!

Having said that, this fella has removed the alternator but still can't get the pulley off.

I've found Gates and INA tensioners for £25 and will likely fit an INA since that's the clutch pulley I got.

Sponsored Links
I thought they were a 33 spline alternator clutch removal socket?

I thought they were a 33 spline alternator clutch removal socket?

Indeed its is!

I'm referring to the shaft end socket, the red arrow. The shaft has to be locked by inserting an M10 spline bit when loosening the pulley. I'm told I may be able to get it removed with an impact gun but I bemused how that would work without the shaft being locked to stop it spinning.

full

I'd never try to remove these with the alternator on the car.....for me, its holding the spline key hexagon in the vice, supporting the alternator and use the impact wrench to shift the centre bolt.
It can take a while but it loosens off eventually!
John :)

It’s like the top strut nut when you have the leg off and the spring compressed. Impact gun and brr brr brr brr brr brr brr ....off!

Well unless someone knows a way to lock the shaft without using the insert tool in the shaft's socket end, looks like I'll be performing surgery and carefully cutting the old pulley off.

I've got a new idler pulley for the tensioner but its rather noisy when spun by hand when mounted on the tensioner arm. I'd have thought a new one would spin silently?

full

I've ordered an INA brand full tensioner instead.

By the way, I got the alternator pulley removed by splitting the alternator in half and using a chain type filter wrench to hold the rotor. A local auto sparky suggested what to do when I told him the bother although he just said take alternator to bits and lock the shaft in a vice.

Blimey, the OP is certainly proving the old saying is true. Buy cheap, buy twice!

Not impressed with the INA product either, its actually got Litens stamped on it and the casting looks none to grand. No product leaflet in the box either so perhaps a return.

I've fitted the old tensioner and all is nice and quiet with the new alternator pulley fitted. If the tensioner pulley starts growling, I'll change it then.

Sponsored Links
Back