Borehole 3 phase pump on single phase supply - possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my borehole pump and i have seen a very good pump but it is 3 phase. My domestic system is regualr single phase.I know it is possible to get converters but what would i need to do this? The pump is 220v max 7.5kw
What options are best as this would be the only thing running on this system.

Sponsored Links
Can the motor be converted to run on single phase? (Some specifically state this in their spec)

The most likely option would require an invertor, but at around £600, how much better is this TP motor?

that sounds decidedly foreign to me.. american even maybe?

we run on 400V phase to phase, or 230V phase to earth..

Sponsored Links
It is actually a Caprari Pump and it is not from a supplier but private therefore is it worth extra cash to convert as it is cheap. If i can convert for say £200 it may be worth doing.

Do you have a model Number?

The more info you can give the better the chances of helping you.

Small motors are normally duel voltage 230 delta and 400 star but larger ones are 400 delta.

The former can be run on inverters and often are. The links need changing to delta and the inverter setting. The time it takes to get to speed and even the speed is all settable and much depends on supply the faster the start the more current. The inverter also acts as overload so has to be right size. Works far better than single phase motor.

Even the voltage 230 to 220 can be set on many inverters but each one is different and you have to read instructions careful.

You must never run with motor disconnected so any floats need to connect to inverter not any contactors.

Used them many times great bits of kit.

There are other ways to run three phase motors on single phase but inverter is by far best method.

With 400 volt motors you can still run them but the inverters cost a lot more and not the way I would go.

Ah - so there's never an intention that the motor be connected to a 230V 3-phase supply, as in one from an electricity provider.

Appears the info was incorrect (i did wonder about 7.5kw!!)
I spoke to the manufacturers as the seller had no idea what he was selling. The website info is incorrect but anyway i ended being introduced to a UK supplier who did me a great price on a brand new pump and all cable and electrics for not much more than the second hand version which would have been too powerful anyway.
Hats off to Capari for great service. They just got a sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back