Boris!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Steve - Not wanting to hijack so

"
any one read the sun today?
page 26? " TITLED BORIS THE BUILDER" in construction, the number of brits fell from 2.03 million to 1.98 million while foreigners rose from 117,000 to 153,000 they also go on to say about the british are losing out to the foreigners also it says that 181,000 people gained employment last year and a 163,000 of them were foreign, it also says how they can afford to undercut the british workers, "just thought i would say what i read today" looks like joe was right about why the prices are coming down and why a lot of people cant cant earn a decent living and are leaving the construction industry"

I don't have a link to the story so can't see what they base it on, but my points are -

1 -joe reckons that foreign workers are bad for the economy . This is different to 'them' lowering plastering rates.

I've posted links here before from bodies like the CBI , based on facts and figures , not anecdotes. From an economics point of view more competitive services makes for a more competitive economy. Remember British cars, steel etc etc. Where are they now? Of course some immigrants send some money home, in the same way our lads in Germaly, Dubai etc send money back here. But is is shown that economic immigrants make a net conrtibution to the economy (source again CBI and Nat Stats Office) they are also much less likely to be on benefits or in govt funded accomadation compared to the 'indiginous population. I'm not condoning illegal immigration here.

2- Joe also seems to think being foreign makes you a cowboy ( who lives in a garage :LOL: ) Again, nonsense. We've had loads of complaints here about bad Brits as well. A cowboy is just that , wherever they are from. They've been around since building began .In the thread about the cracked skim, asking if he was 'a brit' just shows prejudice. Does the cowboy being a Brit make the poor poster feel better? Or should we say 'serves you right for getting a Brit' because that seems to be the response when we disover other shoddy work is by a foreign chappy?

3. IF we want to get rid of all foreing workers, then do we have to take all of ours back from other countries. Because logically that's what should happen. Remember the British guy in France asking about coming home - was he not entitled to make a lkliving in France, or as a foreigner there should he be kicked out?

4. Rates have been brought down - who can deny that ? Numbers of foreign workers must be a factor in this . Supply and demand determines prices. Also houses being built are very few in comparison to pre bust years. Also stupid govt restrictions on blooding young lads on site are reducing native labour. And even before the influx of labour, there were not enough youngsters coming into the trade THAT IS WHY THE FOREIGN WORKERS CAME IN!!! To fill the demand Also because many of us plasterers were making frankly silly money for what we did, because there were too few of us and so it turned full circle, like it always does

In Australia, you get plasterboards made up for houses so there are no joints in the ceiling and few on the walls so very little jointing and less skimming..
Some jobs here have pods - complete rooms- joined together to make a house/flats. If plastering does not remain competitive, then it makes it easier for new methods to come in. If there are too few plasterers left, then the spec will change. Be careful what you wish for in fewer spreads. Remember stonemasons?

5- It's a free market, becoming more global. We want cheap goods, cheap trainers and tvs. There is freedom of movement, Brits in US, Aus everywhere making a wage. Every business needs to be more adaptable, flexible, efficient. I'm not talking about people on the dole etc but isn't it every person's right to make a living?

If you can do a good job at a decent rate, you should not be targeted by prejudice. If you are a cowboy, then does it matter where you are from?

Sponsored Links
Steve - Not wanting to hijack so

"
any one read the sun today?
page 26? " TITLED BORIS THE BUILDER" in construction, the number of brits fell from 2.03 million to 1.98 million while foreigners rose from 117,000 to 153,000 they also go on to say about the british are losing out to the foreigners also it says that 181,000 people gained employment last year and a 163,000 of them were foreign, it also says how they can afford to undercut the british workers, "just thought i would say what i read today" looks like joe was right about why the prices are coming down and why a lot of people cant cant earn a decent living and are leaving the construction industry"

I don't have a link to the story so can't see what they base it on, but my points are -

1 -joe reckons that foreign workers are bad for the economy . This is different to 'them' lowering plastering rates.

I've posted links here before from bodies like the CBI , based on facts and figures , not anecdotes. From an economics point of view more competitive services makes for a more competitive economy. Remember British cars, steel etc etc. Where are they now? Of course some immigrants send some money home, in the same way our lads in Germaly, Dubai etc send money back here. But is is shown that economic immigrants make a net conrtibution to the economy (source again CBI and Nat Stats Office) they are also much less likely to be on benefits or in govt funded accomadation compared to the 'indiginous population. I'm not condoning illegal immigration here.

2- Joe also seems to think being foreign makes you a cowboy ( who lives in a garage :LOL: ) Again, nonsense. We've had loads of complaints here about bad Brits as well. A cowboy is just that , wherever they are from. They've been around since building began .In the thread about the cracked skim, asking if he was 'a brit' just shows prejudice. Does the cowboy being a Brit make the poor poster feel better? Or should we say 'serves you right for getting a Brit' because that seems to be the response when we disover other shoddy work is by a foreign chappy?

3. IF we want to get rid of all foreing workers, then do we have to take all of ours back from other countries. Because logically that's what should happen. Remember the British guy in France asking about coming home - was he not entitled to make a lkliving in France, or as a foreigner there should he be kicked out?

4. Rates have been brought down - who can deny that ? Numbers of foreign workers must be a factor in this . Supply and demand determines prices. Also houses being built are very few in comparison to pre bust years. Also stupid govt restrictions on blooding young lads on site are reducing native labour. And even before the influx of labour, there were not enough youngsters coming into the trade THAT IS WHY THE FOREIGN WORKERS CAME IN!!! To fill the demand Also because many of us plasterers were making frankly silly money for what we did, because there were too few of us and so it turned full circle, like it always does

In Australia, you get plasterboards made up for houses so there are no joints in the ceiling and few on the walls so very little jointing and less skimming..
Some jobs here have pods - complete rooms- joined together to make a house/flats. If plastering does not remain competitive, then it makes it easier for new methods to come in. If there are too few plasterers left, then the spec will change. Be careful what you wish for in fewer spreads. Remember stonemasons?

5- It's a free market, becoming more global. We want cheap goods, cheap trainers and tvs. There is freedom of movement, Brits in US, Aus everywhere making a wage. Every business needs to be more adaptable, flexible, efficient. I'm not talking about people on the dole etc but isn't it every person's right to make a living?

If you can do a good job at a decent rate, you should not be targeted by prejudice. If you are a cowboy, then does it matter where you are from?

Good post there Micilin,, saying it as it is ;)

The bottom line is that a Brit with a family and a mortgage cannot compete price-wise with an East European (EE) who lives for £50 in a shared house.

The EE pays little or no tax. The Brit claims £400 per week in benefits paid by the other tax payers. If he competes with the EE on price he can't pay his mortgage and loses his house. The EE sends his money overseas., so shops and the likes lose out. We no longer train young people so they get left on the dole queue and become a feral underclass.

Immigration is great (for the immigrant).

Economic benefit

10. Clearly some migrants bring economic benefit to the UK but, taken as a whole, what they add to production is counter balanced by their addition to the population. The only major inquiry ever conducted in the UK was carried out by the Select Committee on Economic Affairs of the House of Lords in 2007/08. In April 2008 they reported that "We have found no evidence for the argument, made by the government, business and many others, that net immigration - immigration minus emigration - generates significant economic benefits for the existing UK population." As regards the contribution of migrants to the Exchequer, they concluded that "The overall fiscal impact of immigration is likely to be small, though this masks significant variations across different immigrant groups." See http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200708/ldselect/ldeconaf/82/8202.htm

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/what-is-the-problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back