The British worker is a funny animal

Who would you employ to do work on your house?

• I would employ only a British worker even if it cost me more

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I would employ the cheapest worker for the same quality of workmanship

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watching the news and the mass walkouts by british workers over work being given to foreign companies and workers mad me wonder what all the fuss is about?
There were workers holding banners blaming Gordon Brown for this situation??
What the hell has it to do with Gordon Brown and his government anyway?
This is an independant decision made by a company tendering out the work to the cheapest bidder.

Looking at the facts without allowing the emotions that the british workers are feeling getting in the way, what has brought about this problem?

Well perhaps they shouldn't be blaming Gordon Brown as they have just as much right to blame David Cameron for their demise, after all its his party that in the eighties under Thatcher that so heavily promoted the idea of a "freely competitive market" a Tory ideal not a Labour one!

How many of those workers protesting today drive around in foreign cars or on bikes? How many of their british comrades did they put out of work since the eighties without a thought yet now its happening to them they feel so emotional about it?

These foreign workers are coming from fellow EU countries and working here legally so what argument is there?

How many of these british workers would employ a fellow brit to work on their house if a foreign worker would do the same job cheaper?
And lets not get into a quality of workmanship argument here as there are many many posts on this forum that suggest that british workmanship is not all its cracked up to be these days.

Is walking out conveying suitable signals for future decision making over contracts to be? Does a company take reliability of orders as seriously as cost?

And finally had we not joined the EU would we have survived as a country in a competitive global economy with our workers being paid higher wages for producing something that could be bought elsewhere at less price? Have we missed the point that we are demanding too high wages in comparison to our fellow EU workers and have literally put our own jobs at risk because of this?

Going back to a previous question above to answer the poll, if you had to have a job done on your house that you were neither able or bothered to do yourself would you employ a british worker over a foreign worker regardless of cost? taking for this example that both workers produce the same quality of work.

Sponsored Links
Completely agree Tim.
It is all to do with free market forces. The history of militant Unions should also share a lot of the blame. Wage demands have forced up prices to such an extent we are now globally uncompetetive. Gordon Brown has mercilessly progressed the ridiculous minimum wage policy further forcing us into the uncompetetive situation.
These same workers who strike because they don't like the reality of what they and their Unions and polititions have created are like spoilt children who have been given everything on a plate and cry because the larder is empty.
If British Workers are uncompetetive due to price or Quality of the skills then they alone must address the problem and solve it. So many of our manufacturing companies failed due to excessive wage demands from militant unions. These Unions have Power without Responsibility and that creates the problem with which we have to live with. The Company owners have Responsibility without the Power. These two situations together are a recipe for disaster. The British Workers have themselves to blame as they followed Union demands without the thought of what those demands will cause. Short Term gain with desasterous consequences. The British Worker can no longer claim to give the best quality, because they don't. Now here we have Union intervention getting the militant element to try and force a management decision which was based on Market Forces and Price.
We are all the losers here. But unions still try to disrupt businesses in which they have no idea how it operates. The answer to Unions is to address the cause of the problem not the effect. British Workers and their militant Unions seem to be incapable of understanding how business operates. Business exists to make money otherwise they would not be there and their managers would be out of a job also.
If management can get a job done for a smaller capital outlay then it does not take an Einstien to realise that profits are maximised, which is the objective of the company in the fist place. So unions should accept the cause and get their workers to reduce their wages and then they may become competetive.

Just heard on the news that these workers are italians and portuguese. I worked for over 3 years with italian, spanish and portuguese sparks fittters and management and I was amazed at the extremely high levels of skill. Nothing was too much trouble, always pleasant, would get deeply involved in problem solving, anything incorredt was immediately rectified.

One of the portuguese guys brought in one of their training manuals and it was amazing, in depth detail of every aspect of practical installation work. Including full explanations of why you do it this way and not that way.

Unfortunately, if I was asked to choose a contractor for complicated industrial work I would vote for italians, spanish or portuguese every time.

Funny though if you go to their countries their domestic wiring is probably the worst you will ever see.

I could not place my vote in this pole, as I am torn by both.
Question is, everyman has his price. As we see regularly, if the price is right a man will double-cross, sack, stab another man(work mate) in the back if he can make a killing financially!
This is a fact unfortunately.
Whether they be Italian, Chinese, Polish or whatever. If our market is wide open and we live in an expensive place, other Europeans will "nip in" and do the job cheap, get paid and leave without spending it in our economy.
Thus said, this country looses god knows how much in money to foreign workers sending virtually every penny "back home". This country is like a pig with its throat cut!
A country and its citizens can only have a decent standard of living if its greedy with the wealth it has amassed over the centuries.
For the British workers on TV. Did they every weep for other British people's jobs when they bought cheap Chinese shoes, clothes, Japanese cars etc, etc. I think not!
This country and its social values are so f*ucked up!

Sponsored Links
The only reason GB is being pulled into this is because he said in a statement that British Jobs should go to the British public. But in this case what is a British job? You could argue that GB may have been able to do something or say something if it was a British company but its not so he cant do Sweet FA.

thatcher has a lot to anwser for
the break up off society whilst promoting selfishness where only greed and money matters

now i agree the unions had to much power but her agenda was to run every unoin into the ground removing there power dignity and thus any contribution from the workers

she loved high employment as it kept the plebs in there place and forced working class people to work for less and less money with several people chaising every job and treating people like a commodity and not a human being with no respect for there ability or leaving them an option of dignity

now apart from my thoughts on the evil one the point i am making is

can you imagin a frenchman italian or spaniard "NOT" being patriotic and buying goods made in there country as first choice

they all stick together as a community /country and respect each other
the selfish attitude wher people dont care about society dosnt realy excist to any degree

can someone actualy tell me whats wrong with the poultry minimum wage !!!
do you think a 20 year old with a family dosn't deserve £5.60 ish an hour!!

Would all you People still gibbering on about it being Maggies fault, get real.
She has now been gone for nearly 20 YEARS.

Will you explain to us, just what has the Labour government done over the last 12 YEARS to put things right.

Get real, that bitch's damage is going live on long after she's gone, just because we've had another bunch of pricks running things since doesn't in anyway lessen the damage she did.

Will you explain to us, just what has the Labour government done over the last 12 YEARS to put things right.
Its now that the damage she did is really showing its ugly head (unlike hers :D ) The damage she did was irreversible, You cannot take control of what doesnt exist anymore (in a british form).

If Britain were an animal, it would have been put to sleep a long time ago!

Sponsored Links
Back